[SOLVED] Windows 10 chkdsk cannot complete

Nov 5, 2018
My HDD reports errors and I typed chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt. I restarted the computer and the chkdsk sequence started. However, it gets to the scan and repair segment and it automatically completes without even getting to 1% and then boot back into Windows without fixing the errors. I try chkdsk /t:0 and it was worse. It did not even get to the chkdsk sequence and I resetted the timer back to default.

Chkdsk aborted prematurely or somehow thinks that it just doesn't need to complete. But my PC is still running erratically and slow due to the corrupted system files on my HDD. Sfc /scannow could not complete due to the errors. Anyone encounters this problem too? I just needs chkdsk to start and complete normally for the errors to be fixed.

Solution
You don't need your Windows 7 key anymore to reinstall Windows 10. If you've upgraded via the free upgrade, then you have a digital license linked to your hardware AND if you are logged in with a Microsoft account, it is linked to your account aswell.

You can just go ahead and clean reinstall Windows 10 and it will auto-activate itself.

Lutfij

Titan
It's best if you backed up all critical content onto a removable device and then recreated your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and reinstalled your OS from scratch. Also make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform.

Nov 5, 2018
That means that my Windows 10 OS will be gone as I upgraded it from Windows 7 when it was available for free in July 2015. What makes things worse is that I had managed to lose my Windows installation key.

I believe that the corruption occurs in the boot sequence as I am unable to restart and shut down the computer on many occasions.

Reinstalling OS from scratch is the last thing on my mind. I just need to be able to run chkdsk normally and it will be fixed as only 19 files were corrupted when I ran chkdsk in Command Prompt.

Any other solutions will be appreciated!

Lekro44

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
You don't need your Windows 7 key anymore to reinstall Windows 10. If you've upgraded via the free upgrade, then you have a digital license linked to your hardware AND if you are logged in with a Microsoft account, it is linked to your account aswell.

You can just go ahead and clean reinstall Windows 10 and it will auto-activate itself.

Solution