Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Hello everyone.
The machine I have the problem on is :
Mobo: Asus p5b - se DDR2
Cpu: Intel Q6600 2.4ghz/8mb
Ram: 4x1gb channel interleaved 800mhz
HDD: WDC250gb

So, after countless efforts on installing Windows 10 64 bit and after countless errors/lags/DVDs/usbs I came to realize that when I remove the one ram stick (which is different from the other 3, the three of them are Kingstons and the fourth is a Rendition) the OS finally installs . After the install I thought I was ready so I re-installed the ram stick to see that Windows 10 won't boot. When I removed the stick again, Windows booted normally. The thing is that this set has run 64 bit os before and 32 bit 7-10 without any problem. Note : bios recognizes all of it (4096) and says OK. Just Windows won't boot. Any ideas ?

Solution
"the three of them are Kingstons and the fourth is a Rendition"

Mixing RAM sticks is always a crapshoot. Looks like you've found the wrong end of this.

Adreas

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Update : tried all different ramsticks and slots all work fine , it just doesn't boot with 4 gigs of ram . When I remove any one of the four , no matter the slot or the brand , it boots ! Help !

Colif

Win 11 Master
How long you been running 4gb? I assume its been ages. So changing bios probably wouldn't help.

i have feeling its power related as PC isn't getting enough power to run all 4 ram sticks at same time. I don't know what to do to fix it though. I don't even know if I am right.

people always ask why now but it has to happen sometime

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

Your only chance to make this work would be to add a bit of voltage to the ram in the bios.

Ram is cheap and 4gb is not so great anyway.
Better to buy a 2 stick kit of 8gb that is compatible with your motherboard.
DDR2 is now obsolete; look to buying used on ebay.

Adreas

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

Adreas

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Then why doesn't only Windows 10 work this way ? The ram is recognizable and runs at dual channel interleaved . Any other os works perfectly. I've got this issue only on win 10 64 bit.