Windows 10 clean install freezes when installing certain drivers

Nov 11, 2018
Hi
I recently built a new PC, but I am having some issues when trying to install certain drivers that I downloaded directly from the motherboard manufacturer. When it freezes, nothing else happens and I have to force shutdown the PC. I don't know if this started to happen after I updated the Bios or not.
When the installation wizard starts, it either freezes on the start or during the installation. And it not only happens with the motherboard drivers, but with other programs that presumably install drivers too (for example iCue from Corsair).
When I open the Device manager, I can see that the ethernet controller has an exclamation sign as it wasn't installed, but that is one of the drivers that I can't install. Either way, I can connect to the internet through an ethernet cable.
I have tried many things from other posts such as doing hard drive tests, my temperatures are not high, I have reset the CMOS, I am currently doing a Memtest86+ with 1 pass and 0 errors by the time I am writing this, I have made a Windows 10 clean install again, from a new-made install media, run sfc and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth without issue, reallocated memory in the system.
Even though it usually freezes, I have received one time a BSOD for SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (without any other code), and once it froze while I was playing a game.
I am really desperate that I can't solve this issue, I don't know if it is a hardware or software problem...
Please help.

My hardware setting:
Asrock Z390 Taichi
Intel i9-9900k
G.Skill TridentZ 2x8Gb 3200
Corsair RM750x

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
See if it matters.. but remove 1 stick of ram.. and then try it.. and also make sure you are not overclocking stuff. it (maybe) could be that you have an issue with some bios settings and your sytem is not stable.... you can at least do a quick test by removing 1 stick of ram and seeing if that makes a difference.

Nov 11, 2018

That is what I am doing, but I can't install the motherboard drivers since the computer freezes when I try to install them.

Nov 11, 2018

I have reinstalled windows 10 four times by now, downloading a new iso each time :/

i9-9900k
Supported memory: DDR4-2666

SPD Speed is 2133MHz, which is what the memory runs at if left on [Auto]. I suggest you set memory parameters when booting up and not leave them on [Auto]. Since 3200MHz is for overclocking, you likely would not want to run at that speed immediately.

Memtest86+ has not been updated since 2013. It has been reported to have issues with the UEFI type BIOS. I suggest you use MemTest86 instead.

How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive containing Windows 10 Setup.
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

The Windows 10 ISO link is broken in the above link. You can obtain that here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Nov 11, 2018

Which parameters do you mean to set up for the RAM at the BIOS? Set up the speed to 2133MHz?

Nov 11, 2018
I checked my hard drives (an SSD and a HDD) and they had no problems (showed healthy in the tests). I installed Windows in each (with the other one disconnected), but the problem persists. Also I downloaded another ISO and installed it in a USB with Rufus, still no changes.

I just finished running Memtest86 and it showed no errors.
I set up RAM speed set to 2666MHz and 1.35V but the problem still persists.
Tested with one RAM at a time, but nothing changed.

I tried to install the drivers using the device manager and I could install/update them (now I don't see the Ethernet device with an exclamation sign), but the system still freezes when I try to install something with drivers (for example iCue from Corsair).

I just noticed that when the PC goes to suspension, it freezes after waking it up.

What does the eventviewer say?
Open it by typing in search Eventviewer and it should pop up.
After you open it up , expand the Windows Logs 1.

Look for Errors or Critical or Kernel in;
Application
System
PS. I would show you how the error looks like, but since its fresh I didnt had any

From what I see is a lot of errors,but quite random...
What do you do after fresh install?
Do software and driver installing or?
If you can explain in details.
Cause there is ownership issue, some drivers need windows update, are your HDD set as AHCI?
Another stupid quesiton, are you sure that you downloaded drivers from internet (If you download) from your provider, like Asus, Gigabyte?

Nov 11, 2018

When I did the clean install, the first thing I tried was to install these drivers that I got directly from my manufacturer's website for the specific model. Although this, they still failed. Windows update runs without a problem until it says that everything is updated.

Actually I haven't done any HDD configuration (I haven't set them as AHCI manually, but I saw in the BIOS that they are set as AHCI.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Before trying anything I would do this with the ram at dead stock settings (2133mhz) which I think you did but your posts are a bit confusing. If the motherboard drivers and windows install is giving you errors like that and your SSD and HDD check out then you have a hardware problem, that motherboard is defective, exchange it for a new one.

The part of the process you're at is a simple one, and the simplest answer tends to be right. A member of the mod team just had the same exact problem with an MSI board, exchanged for a new one and everything has been perfect.

xyrth

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Same motherboard, same problem. (other specs - 9700k / 32gb 3600 ram) I haven't reinstalled windows, but i have tried:

No overclocks (even 2133 on ram)
Downloading the files from both ASRock and Intel
Uninstalling drivers, cleaning temp files

NIC's and Bluetooth seem to work, but i don't get the intel software (aiming for teaming the nics)

It could be the most recent windows update - that's done some wonky stuff to intel in the past, not sure if it's worth messing with or waiting for a new revision to the drivers.

xyrth

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Got a response from ASRock support today - which was to try the "all drivers" install from the CD that came with the motherboard - and it worked great. I unselected some of the BS (google bar, norton) and installed all the drivers no issue.

As a side note, intel doesn't support teaming in their 23.4 drivers, and 23.5 is coming soon, so my particular goal is still outstanding :-/

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Interesting. But what version of these drivers vs what you downloaded originally? Have you tried to then subsequently update them to the latest drivers?

xyrth

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

From what i could tell, the cd connected to ASRock's website and downloaded the lastest drivers ... i only checked the NIC ones and they were the same version as listed on intel's website. I asked ASRock how future updates would go but haven't had a response yet.