[SOLVED] Windows 10 clean install freezes

Jul 17, 2019
Yesterday, i bought some new parts for my pc and when i get to the activation product key menu it freezes every time.. i can´t get through it without freezing..

I´m using linux now but i rly dont like it, i already tried removing my GPU, mouse, keyboard etc.

I really need help with this.

Specs,

GTX 1070
i5-9600K
msi z390 tomahawk
if u need more let me know thx.

Last edited:
Solution
If you purchased the i5-9600k recently it could be the R0 stepping version. Your BIOS could support the R0 stepping with respect to viewing the BIOS screens, etc..., but the BIOS may NOT support installing Windows 10 on the R0 stepping version.

If you can get into the BIOS, check the BIOS version against what is available from the MSI website for your Z390 motherboard. If you don't have the latest BIOS installed, download the latest one on another PC and put it on a USB drive you can use to update your new build.

I had the same problem on my Gigabyte Z390 motherboard trying to use an i5-9600K with R0 stepping and updating the BIOS to the latest version allowed me to install Windows 10...
You're specs are wrong. Z390 wouldn't be compatible with ANY CPU that starts with a 6, and, there are no i5-6900k processors anyhow. There is an i7-6900k, but it is a Broadwell-E part from the HEDT platforms, that uses the 2011-3 socket, not an LGA 1151 socket like the mainstream parts. So what, exactly, do you actually have because none of those parts are correct and if the system is actually installing to that point, then you must have something that is compatible with each other. Do you have the latest BIOS version installed?

Last edited:
Do you have other drives attached?

Do you have a valid Windows license/product key/digital entitlement?

Where did you get the Windows installer from?

Have you tried a different USB flash drive to install from?

Have you tried creating NEW installation media, using the instructions at the following link, EXACTLY as outlined?

Does the system freeze before or after you enter the product key?

Have you tried SKIPPING entering the product key by clicking the link to the lower left that says "not at this time" or "activate later"?

Jul 17, 2019
I have an 1,0 TB hard disk, i used the disk on my previous setup.

Yes I have valid windows and product key.

I used an usb, i installed it with media creator tool.

I havent tried that yet.

Yes i have.

Sometimes it freezes in the windows loading screen and sometimes in the productkey activation menu, i have never got past the product key menu.

Yes i have and it froze.

:(

Is that 1TB drive the ONLY drive connected to the system while you are trying to install?

Is that drive from a previous build or system?

Are you doing a CLEAN install, by deleting ALL existing partitions on the drive and then installing to the UNALLOCATED blank space, and allowing Windows to perform ALL necessary partitioning and formatting requirements?

How OLD is that drive?

Have you run ANY health tests on it? I would suggest that downloading Seatools for DOS, creating bootable test media and testing that drive by running the short drive self test (Short DST) and Long generic tests would be a very good idea.

Also, make sure your graphics card and memory are correctly and fully seated. Memory should be installed in the second and fourth slots over starting from the CPU socket and working to the right towards the edge of the motherboard. Fourth slot will be the one closest to the edge of the motherboard. If you have two DIMMs installed, those are the slots they should be installed in and make sure they are fully seated.

What are your FULL hardware specifications including memory kit part number and exact power supply model?

What parts are new? Are you trying to enter data on the activation page, or will it not let you do anything? The activation info can be entered after the install (or might not even be needed if a reinstall and a minor hardware change) so try just hitting next immediately on that page and see what happens.

Ok, so instead of running Seatools for DOS, use Western digital lifeguard tools for DOS. It's the same set of tests really, but might as well use the manufacturer specific tools whenever possible. Run the same tests. WD might name them slightly different, but they are basically the same.

https://www.lifewire.com/western-digital-data-lifeguard-diagnostic-review-2624564

Run the Short and Extended tests. Run the short test first, if it passes, run the extended test. It will take quite a while for the extended test to complete, but if it appears to make no progress for more than two hours, then it has likely encountered a problem. If it has been two hours and it is obviously still making progress, then leave it to continue running.

Your problem may be the fact that you are trying to use your old operating system installation with new hardware. That RARELY works. I would HIGHLY recommend that you do a clean install. If possible, connect the drive to another system so you can move any important files to a backup location. If it is not possible, then you may simply have to accept the fact that you are going to lose whatever data is on that drive. Should have ALWAYS had any important data or files backed up someplace else anyhow. What would you do if the drive fails, and it will, because they ALWAYS fail sooner or later.

Windows installations that were used for other platforms previously will sometimes work with newer hardware and will adjust accordingly, but if there are significant platform differences in the chipsets used, it almost always will do exactly what you are seeing happen. I recommend a clean install AFTER testing to make sure the drive is ok. First should be getting any data to another location if possible.

Jul 17, 2019
What parts are new? Are you trying to enter data on the activation page, or will it not let you do anything? The activation info can be entered after the install (or might not even be needed if a reinstall and a minor hardware change) so try just hitting next immediately on that page and see what happens.
The motherboard is new,
the cpu is new,
the ram is new.

already answered that, it freezes.

Jul 17, 2019
Ok, so instead of running Seatools for DOS, use Western digital lifeguard tools for DOS. It's the same set of tests really, but might as well use the manufacturer specific tools whenever possible. Run the same tests. WD might name them slightly different, but they are basically the same.

https://www.lifewire.com/western-digital-data-lifeguard-diagnostic-review-2624564

Run the Short and Extended tests. Run the short test first, if it passes, run the extended test. It will take quite a while for the extended test to complete, but if it appears to make no progress for more than two hours, then it has likely encountered a problem. If it has been two hours and it is obviously still making progress, then leave it to continue running.

Your problem may be the fact that you are trying to use your old operating system installation with new hardware. That RARELY works. I would HIGHLY recommend that you do a clean install. If possible, connect the drive to another system so you can move any important files to a backup location. If it is not possible, then you may simply have to accept the fact that you are going to lose whatever data is on that drive. Should have ALWAYS had any important data or files backed up someplace else anyhow. What would you do if the drive fails, and it will, because they ALWAYS fail sooner or later.

Windows installations that were used for other platforms previously will sometimes work with newer hardware and will adjust accordingly, but if there are significant platform differences in the chipsets used, it almost always will do exactly what you are seeing happen. I recommend a clean install AFTER testing to make sure the drive is ok. First should be getting any data to another location if possible.
I have a bit of a problem here, i can´t access windows im on linux and i cant download that on linux.

I already tried a clean install. did not work the exact same thing happened.

The motherboard is new,
the cpu is new,
the ram is new.

already answered that, it freezes.
Is your network cable connected when you are running Windows setup? You may have better luck running setup with it disconnected.
Also, it difficult to keep track of your responses when they are "yes, yes, no," etc. If you don't feel like typing out a full response, at least break up the quotes to we know what you are responding to.

Jul 17, 2019
I can try that but i highly doubt it will make any diffrence. [ edit ] and it froze again no diffrence.

And i am breaking them up ???

Last edited:
If you purchased the i5-9600k recently it could be the R0 stepping version. Your BIOS could support the R0 stepping with respect to viewing the BIOS screens, etc..., but the BIOS may NOT support installing Windows 10 on the R0 stepping version.

If you can get into the BIOS, check the BIOS version against what is available from the MSI website for your Z390 motherboard. If you don't have the latest BIOS installed, download the latest one on another PC and put it on a USB drive you can use to update your new build.

I had the same problem on my Gigabyte Z390 motherboard trying to use an i5-9600K with R0 stepping and updating the BIOS to the latest version allowed me to install Windows 10.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...dows-10-without-new-bios-update/#7d382fa7127d

Solution
Jul 17, 2019
Honestly thank you all so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much, I downloaded the latest bios drive and it worked without any freezes.. It was so simple yet so far away if thats how u say it XD.

Anyway thank you all so much for responding so fast and helping me find the solution. I really appreciate it!

I can use windows now!

Last edited: