Question Windows 10 Clean Install on SSD, Old HDD has Windows 10 & my Data, now what?

Webslinger64

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
I installed my first SSD on my PC and just completed a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. Right now, I only have the SSD connected. My HDD is disconnected, but it does contain another Windows 10 Pro OS and all my data. This is my first go around with this type of scenario. So, my concerns and questions have to do with the Windows 10 OS and my data on the HDD.
When I reconnect the HDD, I will enter BIOS and set boot order for SSD first, then HDD second. BUT, once I have rebooted, if I access the HDD in order to get at my data, will that trigger the Windows 10 OS that's on the HDD to takeover for the Windows 10 OS that's on my SSD or will my Windows 10 OS on the SDD remain the active OS? Also, I want to backup all my data on the HDD, then wipe the drive clean, then restore my data to that drive without having the old Windows 10 OS on there as well. Any suggestions on the best way to do that?
Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
It will not trigger the old Windows OS.

What you need to do is access that old drive, locate your personal data, copy that data elsewhere...and then wipe that drive completely.
Not just 'format', but actually delete all existing partitions.

Webslinger64

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
It will not trigger the old Windows OS.

What you need to do is access that old drive, locate your personal data, copy that data elsewhere...and then wipe that drive completely.
Not just 'format', but actually delete all existing partitions.
Thanks for the reply. To wipe the drive completely, if formatting is not the way to do it, what is? Is there a program I should use, or does Windows 10 have a program to wipe the drive with? What is it called?

Webslinger64

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
Disk Management, buit in tool in Windows.

if you were to just do it from File Explorer, that leaves behind the other partitions you do not see.
Thank you. One other thing. When I went into BIOS to correct the boot order, there is suddenly a Windows Boot Manager in the list. Did an online search and found out this is because I have more than one OS installed between drives. None of what I read though said how I should select boot order if Windows Boot Manager shows up. Any idea?
Also, I have reconnected my HDD, but in the BIOS it's not showing up. There's my SSD, then Windows Boot Manager, then my DVD-ROM, and then 'Disabled' at the bottom of the list. Not sure what to make of that.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you. One other thing. When I went into BIOS to correct the boot order, there is suddenly a Windows Boot Manager in the list. Did an online search and found out this is because I have more than one OS installed between drives. None of what I read though said how I should select boot order if Windows Boot Manager shows up. Any idea?
Also, I have reconnected my HDD, but in the BIOS it's not showing up. There's my SSD, then Windows Boot Manager, then my DVD-ROM, and then 'Disabled' at the bottom of the list. Not sure what to make of that.
Windows Boot Manager IS what you want to have as #1 in your boot order.