Windows 10 clean install stuck on 'finishing install'

Aug 28, 2018
Hello everybody!

I got myself a brand new WD 2TB 2003fzex HDD as my really old samsung hd154ui 1,5TB is becoming slower and slower... (at least like 7 years old)

The install wants to restart itself after 'finishing install' . On the screen, the tick near finishing install won't pop up.

Because of a recent graphics card and case upgrade, I simply reinstalled the whole windows. Everything went well. For first time it wanted to restart the whole install but then I disconnected the pendrive and this solved everything.

But now this didn't work.
If I disconnect the pendrive 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key' comes up. Manually selecting the HDD does not help.
If I leave the pendrive in and let everything go on, the installation starts from the beginning. Manially selecting the hdd in this case won't help either...
I disconnected every storeage except the new hdd and the pendrive.
The windows ISO and the rufus made pendrive must be good as it worked 2 weeks before.
I reset everything to optimized defaults in the uefi.
I tried twice on the old samsung drive but now neither of the drives work...
I read on a local forum, kingsotn pendrives don't like 3.0 usb ports during install so I use only usb 2.0
I remade the boot pendrive with rufus if that would be the problem
I can try using a diifferent ISO , but as I stated it worked perfectly fine a few weeks earlier.
I tried messing around with boot mode selection, storage boot option control and other pci device rom priority, all with no success whatsoever.

(The new HDD works just fine. After a formatting, windows recognized it immediately. I copied there some films. Everything worked well.)

Can a bios update help?
(had no problem with the bios in 5 years)

The MoBo is gigabyte 970a ud3p rev 2.0

So please help me.
Thank you in advance for any help.
koppi999

Lutfij

Titan
With Windows Media Creation Tools, you have no need to go the long route with Rufus+ISO. You can have the app create the bootable installer for you.

If you have a BIOS update pending, then yeah that's the first area I'd ask you to cover. Can you list your specs like so:
Chassis:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is your PSU? You spoke of upgrades, might want to share what you upgraded to and from.

Aug 28, 2018
Yes, I could try win media creation tool. I'll give it a shot.

I upgraded the chassis in july: from cougar mx200 to fractal design define s.
I had my new msi gtx 1080 gaming 8G in june, but couldn't fit in. (was amd sapphire r7 260x)
And now I put in a wd 2tb 2003fzex black 3,5" 7200 rpm 64mb hdd near my smasung hd154ui 1,5TB

OS was win 10.

This build was put together in 2015 (except the amd r7 260x in 2013):
ram is kingston hyperx fury ddr3 1600 mhz 2x4GB
enermax maxpro 600w (fan is incredibly loud and bad but the psu itself is good)
amd fx 6300. OCd to 4100 mhz but took it back to default 3500 mhz
deepcool gammax 200t cpu cooler
no ssd yet
2 built in fractal design dynamic 140 mm fans

MObo is gigabyte ga-970a-ud3p rev 2.0 (exactly rev. 2001 12me-970u3p-2001r)

Will upgrade psu ram mobo cpu too, but I'll wait out the new intel cpus. Plus put in some samsung sata or m2 ssd.

Im using windows 10 for like 2 years now.