[SOLVED] windows 10 cloned to ssd into new pc

May 27, 2020
Here is my situation. I have a Dell workstation that I have been using for 8+ years at work. I have 10's of thousands of files, pictures, shortcuts to other drives and networked PC's.
This is a very dirty workplace and carbon get everywhere. So, I bought a new MB with fanless CPU. 5 case fans to keep it positive pressured. ASROCK J4105M and a Western Digital SSD.
I used the included software to clone the drive from the Dell to put into the new build. The ssd works flawlessly in the dell when I remove the original HDD. The Asrock recognized the cloned drive but won’t boot into windows. Only goes into the UEFI screens.
when I clone the drives the software wont let me keep the GPT file format and Clones it MBR. Ok I guess I understand that. I have tried converting it using windows command prompt. The disc validates but the conversion fails. The new MB does not support BIOS it is UEFI only.
I know a fresh windows install is recommended but I am very limited on time and really cannot take the time to move all my files and reinstall all the apps. We are actually still running a FOXPRO database that was built in the late 90's.
I am open to buying a new windows key if that will do the trick, and I am willing to fight driver issues for a few weeks/months if that is what it takes.

This is the first PC I have assembled in over 15 years so, Is what I am trying to do possible?

Solution
Go into the UEFI/BIOS on the new motherboard and enable CSM (Compatibility support module). All UEFI based motherboards that I know of support compatibility mode for legacy hardware including non-UEFI drive and boot partition structures.

Does the SSD boot fine in the Dell if you disconnect ALL other drives in the Dell? A lot of the time people forget to include the EFI boot partition when cloning Windows 10, and then it will boot in a machine with an existing EFI partition, sometimes found mistakenly on another drive that has had Windows installed on it in the past, but it doesn't sound like that is the case here. Worth investigating though.
Go into the UEFI/BIOS on the new motherboard and enable CSM (Compatibility support module). All UEFI based motherboards that I know of support compatibility mode for legacy hardware including non-UEFI drive and boot partition structures.

Does the SSD boot fine in the Dell if you disconnect ALL other drives in the Dell? A lot of the time people forget to include the EFI boot partition when cloning Windows 10, and then it will boot in a machine with an existing EFI partition, sometimes found mistakenly on another drive that has had Windows installed on it in the past, but it doesn't sound like that is the case here. Worth investigating though.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS