Windows 10 Coming This Summer, Still No Precise Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
So how are the new keys being handed out? If you have an activated copy of windows they will just give you one, or do you have to prove you actually have a key and didn't use a loader to activate windows.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I wonder that too. Also will the "free" upgrade allow me to upgrade to a newer Edition build for free as well? Meaning I have Windows 8.1 Single Language because it came pre-loaded but I would want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and not Single Language

CybKnox

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I wonder that too. Also will the "free" upgrade allow me to upgrade to a newer Edition build for free as well? Meaning I have Windows 8.1 Single Language because it came pre-loaded but I would want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and not Single Language

It's simple, you'll upgrade for free to the edition that 8.1 had and then from the "System" window you can choose to pay additional fee to upgrade to Pro or whatever edition you want.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Updated: ZDNet's Ed Bott got a response from a Microsoft spokesperson, confirming that the free upgrade path is indeed available for all pirates everywhere, and not just in China.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/

Even pirates are getting a free upgrade.

So how are the new keys being handed out? If you have an activated copy of windows they will just give you one, or do you have to prove you actually have a key and didn't use a loader to activate windows.

While I don't condone piracy, there's an article on Ars stating that for at least China, if not globally, ALL copies of Windows (loaded or not) that are 7/8/8.1 will be given a free, legitimate copy of 10, probably only the Chinese though, so MS can try and get them to be honest about their OS use.

Again, not confirmed in the slightest, but Ars seems to think that's one possibility.

While i understand why they want to upgrade windows 8 users for free, i don't see what business sense there is to offer free upgrades to windows 7 users. But hey, i guess their losing market share like crazy, so maybe they want to re-establish market dominance like the glory days of windows 95-windowsXP. Then start charging out the butt for windows 11, once they've gotten people locked in to the OS again.

Also, i think there's going to be a resurgence of PC gaming given the mediocre performance of Xbone and PS4, where PC hardware is more powerful for just a little more money. That and the porting of console games to PC is much easier thanks to a similar hardware architecture. So DX12 will really get he ball rolling.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
It's likely that old activation loaders won't work in windows 10, your upgrade is free but it's an upgrade to the trial version you already had.

Still need to know versions and absolute pricing, I don't currently "own" a windows license & if 10 is all it's cracked up to be it might actually, finally, be worth paying for. If it's affordable. And if they're not going the route of yearly subscriptions, which is one rumor I've seen.

For those wondering how they will get the access key free, like mentioned above it will be an update to your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system. You might need to input your old key at some point during the update though.

Most Windows XP machines probably couldn't, plus, they've gotten a free ride jeopardizing the security of others through their own lack of interest in theirs. They should rightly have to pay for a full license.

@Red77star: Have you even seen Windows 10? I think it's strongly placed to take the reigns from Windows 7 as MS' best OS. It's new, it keeps the good stuff, strips a lot of the crap, and integrates a lot of cool new features I only wish we'd had already.

I don't think you've probably even tried the tech preview, let alone looked at Windows 10. As for 8, it's not nearly as bad as people say it is, supposing you have a little mental elasticity.

I thought I covered that with the "to anyone with hardware that can support it" part.

This argument is a little ludicrous. Pirated windows 7 users are getting a free upgrade, but legitimate windows XP users shouldn't?

I absolutely agree that continued use of XP jeopardizes everyone's security, but that means XP users should be the first offered a free upgrade. (again, with the above hardware caveat)

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Wonder if MS will be selling Windows 10 on a USB stick for people who built PC from scratch.

I have been using Windows 10 Technical Preview Built 9926 and i LOVE IT. So simple, so smooth, the layout is amazing. As good as Windows 7 was W10 is a huge upgrade. And if you consider what W8 was well it's a next best thing since sliced bread.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
XP jeopardizes everyone's security sorry, but that's untrue information. Virus's and malware impact everyone's security. The fact is your OS antivirus/antimalware is no more or less secure due to another OS if it were then we'd all be infect by DOS or worse yet the dread Xerox Black Death Ink Plague.

Oh, well then I guess Microsoft can stop issuing security updates to all its OS's, then. The antivirus software has it covered.

Summit37

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Full screen apps make sense for a 5" smartphone, but it's a little ridiculous on a 24" monitor. Where do I do 99% of my work in Windows 8.1? On the desktop!! (Which makes it like Win 7 or Win XP) Why? It's the only place I can stream the game video, browse the news, type an email to mom, and keep track of that linux server upgrade I'm ssh'd to all at the same time. The whole purpose of Window(s) was so you could have than one (and I don't mean 4 different desktop).
I suppose I could always open my study guide in desktop 1, copy what I need, then close desktop1 and open desktop 2, and paste the info I need into my word processor (repeat this 16 more times). Now that's handy, quick and intuitive.
Or I could just have both apps running on the desktop and copy and paste between them. Microsoft needs to learn I don't want my PC to be just like a smartphone.
It's a good thing we have these new i7 CPUs that are 10 times faster than anything, but you can only view one app at a time. Good thinking.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Updated: ZDNet's Ed Bott got a response from a Microsoft spokesperson, confirming that the free upgrade path is indeed available for all pirates everywhere, and not just in China.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/

Even pirates are getting a free upgrade.

I fall under this ^^ category..

Except systems like XP are easier to compromise as they don't receive security patches. They then become part of botnets or other harmful agents that help the viruses spread gloriously or take part in DDOS attacks that harm more responsible people's use of it.

I don't honestly think either of them should.

That said, I find it really inappropriate that I've paid good money to keep my OS up to date and some luddite gets a pass. Win8 was potentially dubious in its usefulness to a lot of people, so I forgive them passing that one up - but if you haven't upgraded to Win7, it's high time you pay for another license.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Full screen apps make sense for a 5" smartphone, but it's a little ridiculous on a 24" monitor. Where do I do 99% of my work in Windows 8.1? On the desktop!!
Wow here's someone who hasn't even looked at Windows 10 and is bashing it. Hey buddy you know 10 has support for windowed apps, even Modern UI apps can be run on the desktop in a window. Your entire rant is pointless and makes you look silly.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i use windows to play videogames, among other things, i need to know if i can keep my windows 7 system or if i can only have the windows 10 one... thats the deciding factor for me because i don't trust windows to have compatibility with everything i use for the first few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.