Windows 10 Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

I have some windows 10 concerns I have a gigabyte z77x ud5h Motherboard 1155 socket I guess.I have 16 gigs Of memory.ddr3 dual channel. I have an Intel i7 Processor 3rd Generation. Not sure what the actual speed is. The ssd I have on windows 7 Home premium is a samsung ssd 850 (pro)
128 gig. I hope that all the bugs will be out by the time windows 10 comes out which is only next month. Some of the comments kind of concern me but as I know it's still in preview or Beta. What I'm wondering is If I choose the upgrade option in windows 7. the upgrade is good for a year and then after the year I will have to pay for windows 10 right? Full price? That's what I heard. Not sure if that's true though. Also my operating system is windows 7 home premium so if I did the upgrade the upgrade would automaticlly be for windows 10 Home premium also right? I couldn't choose professional or Ultimate and get it for free right? Because the upgrade would see that I have home premium and I'm upgrading to windows to professional and it would not let me do that Unless I'm upgrading to 10 home premium. Is this correct? Also I'm wondering How Much memory windows 10 home premium will support because windows 7 Home premium Only supports 16 gigs of memory but I want to add another 16 gigs for a total of 32 gigs now if windows 10 home premium supports that then I will do the upgrade. If it does not then I will have to buy professional Do you know what windows 10 home premium will support maximum for windows 10 home premium?? Also I have an OEM VERSION OF WINDOWS 7 that I bought from Microcenter. It's an OEM system builder pack It's Intended for system builders Only. I'm wondering what the difference is between this version and the regular version in terms of performance.?? And I'm wondering if Windows 10 will have these Oem system builder packs? My last Question I have most of My files pics videos etc on spearte drives. So I don't really care if I have to do a clean install of windows 10 I hear it runs better anyways because the upgrade sometimes leaves traces and bits of the old operating saystem still on the computer. Is this true? I also heard that even doing a delete of the windows .old folder in disk cleanup doesn't get everything. Is this true? Also If I do a clean install would it be better if I dleted the partition that windows 7 is on and create a new one and then format it? Or should I just format it without deleting it?

Thank you so much for dealing with this long email I appreciate it.

Kinnyr90

Solution
The information you heard was incorrect.

You have 1 YEAR to register or get the Free Upgrade to Windows 10. Once you do that, it's yours with free support for the life of the product. So you can easily perform a reinstall in two years.. You do NOT have to pay for Windows 10 at all unless you decide NOT to get the free upgrade within that 12 month period.

Windows 10 Home supports up to 128GB of RAM. So it will support more RAM than Windows 7 Home and there is NO NEED for you to buy the Pro version if all you want is more RAM support.

Windows 7 Home users will get Windows 10 Home... Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate Users will get Windows 10 Pro.

Finally, there is no word yet on whether a clean install will be allowed with the FREE...
the upgrade is good for a year and then after the year I will have to pay for windows 10 right? Full price? No. You don't have to pay at all.

Also my operating system is windows 7 home premium so if I did the upgrade the upgrade would automaticlly be for windows 10 Home premium also right? No - there's no Premium or anything else. Just Windows 10

W10 supports up to 128GB ram - http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/375815,how-to-how-much-ram-do--you-really-need.aspx

Also If I do a clean install would it be better if I dleted the partition that windows 7 is on and create a new one and then format it? You don't do anything other than say go ahead. Microsoft does the installation - same as if it would be doing a W7 upgrade.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Oh Okay. Well let's wait and see the answer that I get. I'm also wondering what the maximum memory is that windows 7 home premium will support cause I want to have it run the full 32 gigs when I install the additional 16 gigs. If it does then I will do the upgrade.

Kinnyr90

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

right windows 10 supports 128 gigs but is that for all versions of windows 10. Home premium, pro Ultimate Etc. And can you answer any other parts of my email? Wasn't sure if you were just taking my email one step at a time?

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

I thought I read that there are 7 different version of windows 10.Okay I found the article there is no windows 10 home premium. And what I have is windows 7 home premium. but there are still seven versions of windows 10. so I'm wondering if I would be upgraded to just home or professional??

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
The information you heard was incorrect.

You have 1 YEAR to register or get the Free Upgrade to Windows 10. Once you do that, it's yours with free support for the life of the product. So you can easily perform a reinstall in two years.. You do NOT have to pay for Windows 10 at all unless you decide NOT to get the free upgrade within that 12 month period.

Windows 10 Home supports up to 128GB of RAM. So it will support more RAM than Windows 7 Home and there is NO NEED for you to buy the Pro version if all you want is more RAM support.

Windows 7 Home users will get Windows 10 Home... Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate Users will get Windows 10 Pro.

Finally, there is no word yet on whether a clean install will be allowed with the FREE Upgrade. The only thing said from Microsoft was your computer will download the files for the Upgrade.. so I'm thinking it will install like a Service Pack. If that is the case, then I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you just perform a clean install of Windows 7 before upgrading to Windows 10... because that could be as close to a clean install as you'll be allowed to have with the FREE version.

Solution

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

I really wouldn't need to do a clean install though right? the upgrade should be fine and then I would just go into the windows .old file and trasfer everything I want to keep to my other hard drives and then just delete the windows .old file and that will get rid of all traces of windows 7 Home premium.The thing I don't Like about the upgrade is that I would not have a restore disk with this and I'm not sure how I would do the Iso Image. So as to create my own restore disk?? If you have the time maybe you could expalin that? Also you said that If I'm upgrading to Home premium I would get windows 10 Home premium but windows 10 does not have Home premium so I'm assuming that you mean just Home? If windows 7 provides other tweaks Like networking tweaks to enhance webbrowser speed and tweaks for the internet that's what I would want. Also. How would I do the iso once windows 10 is Installed is there a special section in windows 10 to go too for that I'm not sure. Also I'm running an OEM version of windows 7 home premium right now It's a system Builders pack.Intended for system Buiders because my system was built. So I'm wondering if there is any difference in the system builders OEM VERSION versus all the regular versions in terms of performance or anything like that??

Thanks

Kinnyr90

Yes, you will get the regular home version, not pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.