Windows 10 Consumer Preview May Come In January

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This looks exciting. :D If this preview does come out, I would like to try it. But when Microsoft releases the full version of Windows 10 or on one of their builds, I hope they can put Aero Glass again.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Bring back Luna themes AND AERO theming.
You screwed up really bad with the Windows h8 interface, which looks retarded and a bit better than Windows 95, for F(r) U C K`s sake!

xchoice

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
hope this time Microsoft listen to feedback before launching the new version of win, not after -.-!

Tanyac

Reputable
Microsoft are listening, but it seems is if their listening is selective, hearing only the feedback that aligns with the direction they have already set their minds on.

If they ditch control panel that will be the final straw for me.

The lack of Aero, the continuing saga of the flat, ugly kindergarten look and feel, the heavy dependency on online connectivity (cloud, MS Accounts etc), and the lack of any real new functionality that is useful in real terms, plus the hybrid live tiles and half baked start menu have already steered me away from this product, as is true for the several people who I've demonstrated the product to.

I was really hoping Microsoft was going to release something worthwhile that was not just Windows 8.2. As each week goes by that seems more and more unlikely.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008

Spot on. I couldn't have put it better myself.

dffeitlstp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I have been looking at the Technical Preview and it is better than the Windows 8 constructs, but I need Microsoft to stop pointing fingers at other vendors and own this one. Case in point, you have to select the Windows 8.1 template in VirtualBox to get it to load a virtual machine. Then on top of that to get Virtualbox Extensions to load you have to go to Compatibility Mode. Microsoft says it is Oracle's fault, but they know a lot of people are using Virtualbox for the preview, because it it free and easy to configure. If you go out to the Insider support forum, Microsoft says that Oracle is not supporting Windows 10 because it is a "Preview". Aren't these companies partners? Oracle has a lot to gain with a successful Windows 10. Microsoft has a lot to gain for Oracle being onboard. Again, all I see is Microsoft attempting to wag the dog and setup new proprietary parameters that everybody has to live with and no concern for the poor techies that have to support this nonsense. Microsoft, if you really want to win, everybody has to win. Time to put the Ballmer era behind and actually build products that interoperate with other product not owned by Microsoft. Gates promised us this 20 years ago, time to keep the promise.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I don't care. Direction Windows 10 is going to is opposite to everything I was hoping to see. Ditching Control Panel in favor of garbage called PC Settings will be a last straw in the list of the things.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Bring back Luna themes AND AERO theming.
You screwed up really bad with the Windows h8 interface, which looks retarded and a bit better than Windows 95, for F(r) U C K`s sake!
They got rid of (somewhat) both those things because they were graphics hogs and did not bring much to the OS itself. In fact, some people have stated that they were part of the reason why Vista was so slow at first.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
hope this time Microsoft listen to feedback before launching the new version of win, not after -.-!
Except that they WERE listening to feedback from people like myself who loved and still do love the Modern UI interface. Personally, I am glad that they are not totally getting rid of the Modern UI interface but just allowing you to 'choose your own' interface.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
There is nothing modern about Modern UI Interface. Windows 7 interface looks more modern and I just can't downgrade. Windows 8, 8.x and it seems 10 are all downgrades compared to Windows 7. Secondly there is nothing about Windows 7 and Vista being graphics hogs. It is not true and they do bring a lot to the OS. I gave a shot at Windows Phone OS for example for 2 years and finally upgraded to Samsung Galaxy S5. All I can say is that I wasted 2 years with the biggest pile of crap interface wise and OS wise. I gave a shot to Windows 8.1 for 6 months and got rid of that abomination in favor for Windows 7. Tried Windows 10 and it seems that Microsoft is not listening....direction they took -> Windows 10 is going to be an absolute rubbish. As long as I see Metro UI elements not going to even bother with it.

Herrington

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
I disabled the aero theme on my win7 laptop, because it drain my battery much faster. The disabled aero theme on win7 is actually look uglier than win8 modern ui.

MattRank1996

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
I viewed a preview of windows 10, and I'm glad they're bringing back the start menu and doing away with the useless apps. It appears in Windows 10, photos will be able to be viewed on the desktop again, so there is no separate app needed. I feel that windows 8 was designed for touch screen computers, which as a PC gamer, it wasn't very user friendly in my experience. While I was looking around in game, the tile screen appeared disrupting my game play. I hope Windows 10 is more user friendly for PC gamers.

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
I'm always excited to try out new builds of OSs. Windows 10 will probably hit me in the head out of nowhere like Windows 8 did. 8 got of to a shaky start but I guess it's true that if enough people complain, things will change. Hopefully people will like Windows 10, or, at least what it's becoming so far.

Tanyac

Reputable

Sadly, this is not how businesses like Microsoft make decisions. Everything, right down to the "How many times a day does employee xyz visit the bathroom" is a marketing and financial decision.

Everything is about short and long term revenue generation and if they can't make the round peg fit into the square hole it ain't gonna happen no matter how many people complain. Remember, they have a duty to stock holders, and their executives to line their back pockets.

Seriously, Microsoft has no interest in pleasing you or the masses unless it makes them lots of money.

Another strategy (Which has been around for millennia), is Problem - reaction - solution.

Make far reaching and drastic changes to an OS (Eg Vista, Windows 8), knowing that there will be an uproar. Identify it as a problem, then look like a hero for dialing it back and creating a solution that is more palatable, and eventually people will fall for it and you get to the point you originally intended.

Human minds are plastic, and easily controlled and manipulated. Easily convinced that a bad situation is good, and those that don't assimilate become the outcasts.

The windows 10 strategy fits this paradigm nicely.

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

Ouch, man...

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

The sad part is that it's true. Make an OS so horrid that not even MS would use then make it less like what it was. The only problem i see with W10 is that it's really not that different from W8x but at least the apps are resizable and not eating up the whole screen. The same with the start menu which still has changed. To say though that people don't have a voice in what they want is a bit absurd, people generally get what they want in large enough numbers. Microsoft isn't special, even they will eventually fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.