Windows 10 consuming too much RAM memory and cpu (i think)

Oct 10, 2018
Really fast, when I run Task Manager I can see the CPU beeing at 80% and then dropping instantly to 9% (That's not the main problem but just saying cz it may not be normal) Then I look at the Memory and it's like 44% most of the times with just running chrome and the basic Windows programs. Screenshot:
isYtqYX.png

PS. I have 8gb of ram.

Solution
The CPU activity is normal, especially if PC had been idle just before you opened taskbar. win 10 will use idle time to run background tasks but will give you all CPU again once its finished (mostly, if its running Store updates it can hold onto CPU until its finished)

The ram seems normal too, I have 16gb and normally use 25% of ram. Since i have double your ram you need to times my percentage by 2 to reach your usage. So my 50% looks pretty bad in comparison to yours. If you sort by ram, Bit-defender likely 2nd biggest user of ram, that is normal for my system.

Your usage is fine, I would only worry about ram if you get out of memory errors. Win 10 is pretty good at memory management and it would close anything it doesn't need...

Colif

Win 11 Master
The CPU activity is normal, especially if PC had been idle just before you opened taskbar. win 10 will use idle time to run background tasks but will give you all CPU again once its finished (mostly, if its running Store updates it can hold onto CPU until its finished)

The ram seems normal too, I have 16gb and normally use 25% of ram. Since i have double your ram you need to times my percentage by 2 to reach your usage. So my 50% looks pretty bad in comparison to yours. If you sort by ram, Bit-defender likely 2nd biggest user of ram, that is normal for my system.

Your usage is fine, I would only worry about ram if you get out of memory errors. Win 10 is pretty good at memory management and it would close anything it doesn't need running if you ever need up to 8gb.

If you using latest version of win 10 (version 1809) then the task manager is inaccurate and shows wrong figures. the figures below the total at top don't add up to it.

Solution
Jan 18, 2019
Much of this problem seems to be due to sloppy programming. Here is an excellent discussion: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2018/02/11/zombie-processes-are-eating-your-memory/

Some band-aids:
1. Open Task Manager. On Processes tab, highlight Windows Explorer and note its memory use. Right click Windows Explorer and Choose Restart.
2. Two more steps that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ4zkThSWpM