Question Windows 10 controller recommendation PS4, XBox, Other? All house system.

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
I have a system where all my TVs are connected to my windows 10 machine. I am looking for a controller recommendation with the following features in order of priority
  1. Cost - $40-$60
  2. Will work seamlessly with windows 10, don’t have to set it up
  3. Strong enough to connect through some walls, 40 feet distance.

Number 3 is great to have if it exists but I can work around it by putting the Bluetooth dongle in the attic if its not strong enough, or if there are other solutions for this I am interested. 1 and 2 are my biggest prioritys

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i bought a wired XB1 controller and it just works right off. the wireless ones have all kinds of issues sitting next to the pc. i can't imagine it working through walls and so on.

for every person i see who gets wireless working, i see a dozen more who can't make it work. so i never even tried with a wireless option.

leep in mind i am only thinking of XB controllers and not any third party brands. i have no experience there.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I had used PS3 controllers for a long time simply because they work well, are wireless, have rechargeable batteries, and I already owned them. They finally gave up on me and I went to the Xbox One controller. As far as working well with Windows, it's sort of a no brainer. I don't like that in order to get wireless batteries I have to buy a special pack and a special charger.

With both the PS3 and the Xbox controller the bluetooth dongle is going to need line of sight and in my own living room I get about 12-15 ish feet away from it before lag issues start.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I had used PS3 controllers for a long time simply because they work well, are wireless, have rechargeable batteries, and I already owned them. They finally gave up on me and I went to the Xbox One controller. As far as working well with Windows, it's sort of a no brainer. I don't like that in order to get wireless batteries I have to buy a special pack and a special charger.

With both the PS3 and the Xbox controller the bluetooth dongle is going to need line of sight and in my own living room I get about 12-15 ish feet away from it before lag issues start.

not to hijack but you have no issues with wireless XB1 controller? i would not mind getting one but don't know if they have managed to fix the various issues i saw when researching couple years back.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
not to hijack but you have no issues with wireless XB1 controller? i would not mind getting one but don't know if they have managed to fix the various issues i saw when researching couple years back.

Nothing that stands out. IMO the biggest let down is that when I was using the PS controller the emulation program allowed for me to connect simply by pressing the "power" button. It would pair, I would play.
The XB controller makes me go into Bluetooth pair it, then play. If the controller goes to sleep you have to do it again.

With both of them I had to get a small USB extension and point the dongle at my seating position. Even being on top of the case it would reduce the range. I ended up getting one that I tuck below the TV and simply pull to the front of the stand while gaming.

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Hey thanks to both of you, sounds like the PS controller, maybe that’s the way to go? Which one, PS4, 3?

The reason I’m asking about the connectability is I tried to connect a Wii U controller And I kept getting the pin code request, and forums and YouTube wanted me to go download some software that doesn’t exist anymore. I want it to be easy, like punkncat said, power button, pair, play.

bummer on the line of sight,and the 6 foot rule. that will not work.

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
One other thought, I cannot use a controller that has a dongle that comes with it, I need to be able to connect the Bluetooth or some other way to the dongle that I already have. Is there a PS controller that uses internal Bluetooth or a Bluetooth dongle from another brand?