[SOLVED] Windows 10 corrupts files after SSD upgrade

Chehab.Ibrahim

Reputable
Jan 1, 2019
I recently upgraded my computer (HP Compaq 6200 SFF)'s hard drive to an SSD (G-skill falcon II). I installed all the storage controller drivers and everything. For some reason, my system keeps getting files corrupted. sfc /scannow can't complete (Error:Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. ) and stops at 26%, and chkdsk doesn't seem to help either. It scans up until ~20%, then locks up and skips to 100% This is my 5th windows install with this issue. Please help

Solution
That's BS. I've used Seatools and WD lifeguard tools for MANY, MANY years, and have never seen anything like that happen. I've never once seen a drive pass the DST or Long tests and actually be a faulty drive.

Which is not to say that Hard disk sentinel is particularly bad either. ALL these drive testing utilities use the same basic tests, in the same basic way. The only real differences are the packaging and branding of the utility and some minor variations in implementation.

In fact, your assumption that those tools are "less" capable than HDS has been called out, and disproven, on many occasions in the past.

Here is just one example. Again, HDS is fine too, but it's not "better" in any meaningful sense of the word. They all run...
Are you actually "installing" windows, or are you doing some kind of factory reset, repair, restore, refresh or in place upgrade repeatedly to the same version? Are you actually doing a CLEAN install? Like this:

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

If you are actually doing a clean install and this is happening, then you probably have a bad drive and should either return the unit for a refund or RMA it for a replacement.

You might want to download and run Seatools for Windows and run the Short DST (Drive self test) and Long generic tests, to see if the drive is faulty.

Chehab.Ibrahim

Reputable
Jan 1, 2019

Yes I am doing a clean install of Windows 10. Will try Seatools now

Be prepared, the Long generic may take several hours to complete. If it gets stuck with no progress on the short DST for more than an hour though, there is probably something wrong with the drive. ANY errors, means a bad drive or cable.

You might REALLY want to double check that both the data and power SATA cables are FULLY seated at both ends (With the power OFF) and perhaps try a DIFFERENT SATA power cable from the power supply and a different SATA data cable as well. Cable problems can seem exactly like a faulty drive too.

A weak power supply could also cause this. What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

Chehab.Ibrahim

Reputable
Jan 1, 2019

I have a 240W power supply, model #DPS-240TP A. This is a prebuilt computer from HP

That's BS. I've used Seatools and WD lifeguard tools for MANY, MANY years, and have never seen anything like that happen. I've never once seen a drive pass the DST or Long tests and actually be a faulty drive.

Which is not to say that Hard disk sentinel is particularly bad either. ALL these drive testing utilities use the same basic tests, in the same basic way. The only real differences are the packaging and branding of the utility and some minor variations in implementation.

In fact, your assumption that those tools are "less" capable than HDS has been called out, and disproven, on many occasions in the past.

Here is just one example. Again, HDS is fine too, but it's not "better" in any meaningful sense of the word. They all run the DST and extended (Long) tests the same way.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3342793/surface-test-tools-hdds.html

Solution

Chehab.Ibrahim

Reputable
Jan 1, 2019

Ok I will try that now. Thanks!

Gave me this message:
The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found.
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #209 Remaining Drive Life

Run the Short DST and Long generic in Seatools like I recommended. There's no way you could have run those tests already. The extended or Long generic, depending on what utility (Seatools, WD Lifeguard tools, HDS) you use, can take many hours to complete unless it's a really small drive.

Probably somewhat faster on an SSD, but it will still take longer than ten or fifteen minutes.

Yes, it could absolutely be a faulty controller. You might want to also try connecting the drive to a different SATA header on the board. Sometimes there is just a bad header. Even so, if that's the case you'd want to return the board.

Chehab.Ibrahim

Reputable
Jan 1, 2019

Ok. For some reason when I run the ShortDST, it skips to 100%. Does that mean I have faulty hardware?

Are you able to run the long test? Does it give you a pass or fail on the short test?

Usually if you get anything other than a full green progress bar and the name of the test you ran + Pass, then there is a problem.

Did you TRY another SATA cable? Did you double check that the connections are fully and correctly seated? Did you try another SATA header on the motherboard?

Being retired you haven't seen the umpteen posts where seatools say the drive is OK.

Did you try running the same tests, the short/quick test in Hard disk sentinel and then the extended test. Does it do the same thing in that utility that it does in Seatools?

Other than that, you have a couple of choices. Take it somewhere for them to test it. Buy a new SATA cable somewhere and try that or RMA the drive.

I still think it could be something else and just wanted to eliminate the possibility that it was the drive, but it could absolutely be the drive as well. If it is under warranty, or you can return it, I'd just do that and see what happens with the new drive. If everything worked normally before you got this drive then it can pretty much only be the drive or the cable.

Yeah, I'd try the drive in another system. See if you can run those tests with it in another machine. If you still have problems, replace the drive. If you don't, then the problem is related to some other hardware on your system and not the drive itself. We can move forward from there once you know which it is.

I can't disagree with that, however, it must also be considered that it will be an additional expense to buy an external enclosure or set of adapter cables to test it via USB versus no cost to test in an existing system if you have another one or as mentioned if you know somebody willing to allow you to connect it for testing purposes. Alternatively, I'd maybe just take it back because as I said it seems you had no problem like this before you got the drive so the chances that it is the drive are at least higher than other probabilities.

Chehab.Ibrahim

Reputable
Jan 1, 2019
I ran all the tests on another machine, they all came back negative. Everything was fine. The stop code "Memory management" refers to RAM correct? If thats the case, could it be my RAM that is bad? Because with my HDD, sometimes some of my files would get corrupted with no explanation

USAFRet

Titan

This absolutely sounds like a faulty drive.
What does the drive manufacturers diagnostic tool say?
Have you contacted them for a warranty replacement?

If not, why not?

Chehab.Ibrahim

Reputable
Jan 1, 2019

I'm not sure if this counts as mixed memory, however I had 2 computers that were the same. 100% identical. One of them died for good, so I took the RAM out of one and put it in mine. I thought they would be the same. However, under closer inspection, they seem to be slightly different. Here is a picture of both of them side by side:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnXXk5PX0LXn20GCAH96JVfCLbg8

Anyway I will run memtest86 now and report the results