Windows 10 crash - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F) - NW1900.sys

stevenvw

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I have a HP touchscreen computer that was upgraded to Windows 10 some time ago. However it keeps crashing every time the computer wakes up from sleep with a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F). I was able to open the crash dumps, and every single one keeps mentioning NW1900.sys as the cause for the crash. This appears to be the touchscreen driver so I uninstalled and removed the driver. However, every time I restart the computer the driver is reinstalled and the computer crashes when resuming from sleep. The HP website does not list an updated driver for Windows 10.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue, or at least prevent the computer from downloading/installing this particular driver for the touchscreen?

Solution
hp touch display driver

Finally, the problem has been solved. ZigZag, you were right, it was the nw1900.sys file. I went back to Windows 7 for a month and noticed that the NextWindow driver was not even installed, yet my touch screen worked fine and I never once encountered a driver_power_state_failure error. So I thought maybe I could upgrade to Windows 10, but it automatically installed the NextWindow driver. Within 24 hours I encountered a driver_power_state_failure error. Even when I manually uninstalled the device from Device Manager, it would get reinstalled on the next Windows Update. Deferring or hiding the update did not help. I stumbled across another forum, where somebody suggested that I identify the Hardware ID...

Colif

Win 11 Master
hp touch display driver

Finally, the problem has been solved. ZigZag, you were right, it was the nw1900.sys file. I went back to Windows 7 for a month and noticed that the NextWindow driver was not even installed, yet my touch screen worked fine and I never once encountered a driver_power_state_failure error. So I thought maybe I could upgrade to Windows 10, but it automatically installed the NextWindow driver. Within 24 hours I encountered a driver_power_state_failure error. Even when I manually uninstalled the device from Device Manager, it would get reinstalled on the next Windows Update. Deferring or hiding the update did not help. I stumbled across another forum, where somebody suggested that I identify the Hardware ID of the NextWindow driver in a group policy to prevent Windows 10 from installing any drivers with that specific Hardware ID. Now Windows Update fails to install the NextWindow driver, and displays the following message:
NextWindow driver update for NextWindow Multi-touch Device - Error 0x800f0248
This is how to prevent Windows 10 from forcing an install of the driver:
1) Run "gpedit.msc" > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions > "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs"
2) Enter the device ID of the device for which you don't want any updates to be installed. The device ID can be found through Device Manager > [your device] > Properties > Details > Hardware IDs. For me it was enough to enter one of the IDs found there.
Note: I have not encountered any further driver_power_state_failures since, and my touch screen works fine.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/recurring-driverpowerstatefailure-with-windows-10/ab4d2c86-3998-4a41-8480-b73a3f11e59a?page=2

Solution