[SOLVED] Windows 10 Crash, hard drive fails to boot up without being unplugged/replugged internally

Feb 5, 2019
My computer has begun crashing to a blue windows screen with a large sad face on it stating “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart...”

Once it automatically tries to reboot it comes to a black screen stating that there was no hard drive with a bootable copy of windows.

Upon unplugging and replugging in the power cable to my HDD and rebooting the computer, it then finds the hard drive and boots up normally.

This crash and subsequent need to unplug/replug hdd and reboot process occurs sporadically. I can play a game for an hour and have it happen, or have it happen while idle on the desktop screen for 10 minutes.

I am no expert by any means but I can’t help but assume this is either a power supply or hard drive issue. Is there anyway for me to diagnose this for sure without replacement hardware as a tester?

Solution

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019

The free of charge options:
Re-install windows
If thats not it, Then possibly RAM failure. Test with memtest86
If that doesnt change anything Im guessing corrupted HDD. If you have multiple drives install Win10 to another drive first and see if that helps before spending any money.

Solution