Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2018
I recently installed windows 10 on a new build and had a couple of weeks with no problems. I then started getting increasingly regular BSODs, usually 0xc00000021. After it got to the point where I could only boot into recovery options, of which none worked and i could not boot into safe mode as the startup options screen would freeze, I reinstalled windows 10 after wiping my hard drive.

The BSODs continued to the point where i only had the option to reinstall windows 10 again and during the reinstall I got another BSOD. I am stuck in a crash loop where I get a 0xc00000023 BSOD on startup and then a 'Recovery, your pc needs to be repaired 0xc0000001' screen after it restarts which freezes before I can choose an option. Throughout this loop my keyboard is unresponsive so I cannot access any of the various menus using f11, del etc. and so am powerless to do anything in an attempt to solve the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Did you try pressing the F8 key when you get to the 'Recovery' screen (45 seconds into your video)?
Then choose Advanced Repair>Troubleshoot> Advanced Options>Windows Startup Settings>Restart
The PC will reboot, and bring you to a 'Startup Settings' screen.
Use the arrow keys to select 'Enable Safe Mode' or type the number (usually 4/F4) on your keyboard to select 'Enable Safe Mode.'
Navigate to 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution' and delete the...
Feb 16, 2018
Faulty RAM or memory slot issue is one of the possible reasons why you are having a BSOD error code 0xc0000023 (you added an extra 0 there fyi)
I would suggest taking a stick out and only running with one and then the other to see if a stick is bad.

That error could refer to a damaged hard disk or OS system files corruption but it also appears due to memory (RAM) corruption.
Are you able to access the Windows Automatic repair 'Advanced options'?
You could test you RAM outside Windows to rule that out.

Feb 15, 2018

No i'm unable to access any of the automatic repair options. I've tried taking out each stick of ram individually and switching their slots but it has had no effect on the problem.

If you are stuck in a particular boot cycle that does allow you to get into advanced boot options, then you have two options.
1- You could force Windows to crash and open boot options.
Power up your system, when you see the Windows logo; press and hold the power button to force a shutdown.
You can also unplug the power cord (or battery on a laptop) to force a shutdown. Repeat this up to 4 times and the boot options will be available for you.

2- Boot From Your Windows 10 installation media (USB/DVD).
Boot from the USB or DVD disc and click on the “Repair” option to access Windows 10 boot options.
If you do not have a Windows 10 installation media (USB/DVD), you can create one using another PC.
Just visit the Microsoft website here..

After you get to the access Windows 10 boot options, select 'Troubleshoot'>'Advanced options'>'Startup Settings.'
On the Startup Settings screen, tap the 'Restart button.' The PC will reboot, and bring you to a 'Startup Settings' screen.
Use the arrow keys to select 'Enable Safe Mode' or type the number (usually 4/F4) on your keyboard to select 'Enable Safe Mode.'
Navigate to 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution' and delete the contents of this folder. reboot.

Feb 15, 2018

No luck with forcing it to open boot options, it just takes me straight to the 'recovery your pc needs to be repaired screen'. I've tried booting from a usb and again no luck. I've uploaded a video of the crash loop here if that helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VusMB4ZPs9g. cheers

Did you try pressing the F8 key when you get to the 'Recovery' screen (45 seconds into your video)?
Then choose Advanced Repair>Troubleshoot> Advanced Options>Windows Startup Settings>Restart
The PC will reboot, and bring you to a 'Startup Settings' screen.
Navigate to 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution' and delete the contents of this folder. reboot.

Solution
Oct 26, 2021
Faulty RAM or memory slot issue is one of the possible reasons why you are having a BSOD error code 0xc0000023 (you added an extra 0 there fyi)
I would suggest taking a stick out and only running with one and then the other to see if a stick is bad.
Thank you for the genius idea! Took out one and saw the bluescreening upon start occur immediately, granting me great hope. When I took the other one out, the black casing looked discoloured as if damaged and low and behold, my PC started perfectly. Nice save!

Status
Not open for further replies.