Question Windows 10 crash

xDeluxers

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
It has been since October 2020 that while using the PC, Windows suddenly crashes. A few months ago I had searched the internet and found a solution, which was to lower the RAM frequency from 3200 Mhz to 2800 Mhz with XMP active and it had worked. The other day, I installed AIDA64 and did a system stability test for 5 minutes and after that the problem recurred 2 times and I have to forcibly shut down the PC from the power button.

How do I know that Windows is crashing?
I can tell by the loading animation of the cursor that instead of spinning it stays still, by the clock that is frozen, if I open the start menu and click Restart or Shutdown it does nothing, it just closes the start menu as if it was shutting down the PC but does nothing or when I right click on the start menu and try to open anything like "Event Viewer", it closes the start menu and only the "Event Viewer" item remains.

xDeluxers

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
As always - post full system specs too.

Did Windows worked with base RAM frequency - 2133 MHz or what your RAM have? Do it works as expected if XMP profile in BIOS is disabled?
Windows, initially worked with the frequency of RAM (3200Mhz) after I lowered it to 2800Mhz with XMP active because of this problem. I don't know if with XMP disabled it does the same.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x with Stock Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SSD Sata: SanDisk Plus 480 GB
SSD NVme: Sabrent Rocket 1TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8)
GPU: MSI 1660 Ti GAMING X
PSU : Seasonic Focus+ 80 Plus Gold 550W

Last edited:
You forgot to specify PSU.

If Windows worked with default overclocking profile (XMP), then there are other things to rule out:
  • Latest driver and Windows updates. These nowadays may do both harm and good after automatic update.
  • Overheating caused by dirt, failed CPU/GPU fan or same mismatched update.
If fans are working fine then seems you need to load system configuration from restore point before last system update.

xDeluxers

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020

If Windows worked with default overclocking profile (XMP), then there are other things to rule out:
  • Latest driver and Windows updates. These nowadays may do both harm and good after automatic update.
If fans are working fine then seems you need to load system configuration from restore point before last system update.
PSU : Seasonic Focus+ 80 Plus Gold 550W

I don't think it's a problem with Windows updates. I've had this problem since October, and I've done clean installs of Windows several times in those months.

xDeluxers

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020

I tried using the PC with the default BIOS settings and it still crashes. Is it the faulty RAM? Memtest reports no errors. Is it the memory controller of the CPU? I wouldn't know how to find out.