Windows 10 crashed and only boots into safe mode after cloning to an SSD

MsRageQuit

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
I recently upgraded my Laptop's HDD to an SSD using Acronis cloning software. I'm not sure if this has to do with the problem, but a week later my computer crashed and restarted into Startup Repair. It managed to fix whatever problem it was and started up normally. A few days later it happened again and this time it didn't fix the problem. I am able to boot into safemode. I started up command prompt and tried sfc /scannow and running chkdsk but none of those worked. Are there any steps I should take further before attempting to reclone the drive?

Solution
Welcome, @MsRageQuit!

I'd suggest you create or find the Windows Repair disk for your laptop. Afterwards, run the Startup Repair option. It will not only fix corrupted system files like the System File Checker, but it'll also check for MBR, partition table corruption, problematic drivers, corrupted boot configuration data, etc.

If that doesn't help, you should most definitely repeat the cloning procedure from scratch again. Sometimes, cloning tools could accidentally miss some important files for the system to boot properly from the new booting drive. However, the re-cloning would hopefully fix the issue.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome, @MsRageQuit!

I'd suggest you create or find the Windows Repair disk for your laptop. Afterwards, run the Startup Repair option. It will not only fix corrupted system files like the System File Checker, but it'll also check for MBR, partition table corruption, problematic drivers, corrupted boot configuration data, etc.

If that doesn't help, you should most definitely repeat the cloning procedure from scratch again. Sometimes, cloning tools could accidentally miss some important files for the system to boot properly from the new booting drive. However, the re-cloning would hopefully fix the issue.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

MsRageQuit

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried Startup Repair off my Windows 10 USB but it just loops back into "Windows won't start choose options" screen so I'm definitely gonna try recloning the HDD

TRENDING THREADS