Question Windows 10 crashes when streaming with SLOBS

Apr 16, 2019
Hello everyone,

currently I am facing a problem I can't grasp.
I am streaming Total War: Warhammer 2 with SLOBS on Twitch. After around 90-120 Minutes into the game and into the stream, my computer crashes. No bluescreen. Nothing found in my events (only the normal "hey, there was a unforeseen restart").

Here is my configuration:
  • Mainboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
  • CPU: Intel Core I5 8600K
  • CPU Fan: Alpenföhn Brocken 2
  • RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB C16 XMP 2.0
  • GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Ti ROG Strix Advanced
  • HDD: 2x SSD, 1x SATA
  • Power: 700 Watt BeQuiet
  • Case: Corsair air 540
  • Fans:
    • 2 Fans on front, blowing in
    • 1 Fan at the back, blowing out
    • 2 Fans on top, blowing out
Yesterday evening my PC needed some tries to perform the restart. I was able to hear the PC restarting 2-3 times within a few seconds until it finally moved on and the BIOS screen was visible. Since I had similar symptoms in the past with another configuration I assume I would have a problem with overheating (my assumption: the hardware needed a few more seconds to cool down, so my PC restarts until the treshold is reached).

My HWMonitor shows:
Idle:​
CPU: around 35 °C​
GPU: around 30 °C​
Working:
CPU: around 75 °C, with a peak to 80°C​
GPU: around 65 °C, with a peak to 70°C​

In my opinion, those values are pretty good, nothing too bad here. I was look on those values for pretty long, and those seemed to be stable. But my windows crashes again.
So I would say: no overheating problem. Nevertheless I did change some values in my fan-configuration in BIOS, so my fans will start to blow earlier. Also I did change some values for my GPU Fans, so they would kick in earlier, too.

Then I was thinking about a RAM, CPU or GPU problem:

I did a full memtest, no errors detected​
I did a CPU stress-test with Prime95, no problems detected​
I did a GPU stress-test with FurMark, again no problems​

What I am going to do for sure (this Thursday)
  • Reinstall Windows
  • Install the newest drivers possible for mainboard and GPU
Unfortunately I don't know how to continue to find a concrete source of error. That’s where I hope you could come into play.
  • Maybe my PSU is too old (nearly 10 years). Is it possible that my PSU needs to be renewed? How can I test this?
  • Maybe my temperature sensors are not working well? Is this even likely? How can I test this?
  • Maybe SLOBS is not configured well. A week ago I changed from x264 to NVENC (new) to get a better quality out of my stream. Could this be the source of my crash? I was searching the internet for someone else having similar problems, but I hadn't found anything suitable. Any ideas on this case?
  • Maybe there are some temperatures I need to check, too?
I hope you have an idea to follow, something I hadn't thought of.