Windows 10 crashing (mainly while gaming) on SSD

Jan 31, 2019
SOS, Mayday, pleasehelpmeIamreallydesperateandstressedtothemax

I have formatted my PC and installed Windows 10 on a SSD. I began experiencing the same issue I had a year ago, which was increasing freezes during gameplay. Back then it happened on Overwatch, now it's on Star Wars The Old Republic.

Here's what is happening:
I log in the morning, start playing for a couple of hours and then the systems freezes. Completely unresponsive, only way to restart is by the power button. Restarting, it will certainly freeze again ingame but within much less time. And so on until it reaches the point where I cannot play at all and it will even freeze on Windows.

The curious thing is that I got the PC to tech support and there it flows perfectly. I tried EVERY solution I could find, a few of which are:
Changing AHCI to IDE
Disabling Power Management times for turning the disk off
Allocating more space to the paging file size
Disabling C Stats for the processor
All kinds of scans, scannow, verify, mem check, etc.
Renewing thermal paste so temperature was not an issue.

All drivers are updated to the last version, NVidia Geforce Experience providing the latest supported driver.
Firmware IS updated.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core i3 2100 3.1 GHz
Geforce NVidia 750 GTX
8 GB Ram
Motherboard Intel DZ68BC
SSD Kingston SA400S37120G

The only hypothesis that I can think of has to do with the electrical grid here at home. Nothing is different from the tech support place and here besides the grid and my peripherals, which were working fine before, so I doubt they are the reason. What adds more to this is that if I leave the PC turned off for a bit, the time for the freeze to happen increases significantly, and if I relog as soon as I boot the PC again, the times reduce until even Windows begins to crash... which makes me think there is something... "stored"(?) that makes it crash? I don't know at this point. I am out of ideas and resources. Any fix that you may suggest I will try, I am trying to fix it for a week by now.

Jan 31, 2019
Skynet, EVGA 600 B, 100-B1-3600-KB, 600 W. I renewed my thermal paste two days ago, still no solutions.

scubasteve, Right now I have 64 on motherboard, 61 On CPU, 37 on the SSD and 32 on the HDDs, 69 on the GPU (on celsius, obviously) I have not crashed... yet. Running the SWTOR character selection at the background. BTW, how can I upload the full log to you guys, I got this by eye using HW monitor, the saved longs are too long for posting here, I suppose.

Plus, if it really was the temperature, why would it work fine with the tech support guy? I stood there playing a full hour to see if something was gonna happen after carrying the whole thing for 1 km under the sun (though obviously working temp is much higher, but just to emphasize that it was not heated down like during the night.

Jan 30, 2019
ambient temps guessing the tech guy had the aircon on that wouldve helped alot but yh sounds alot like a heating issue not sure about intel im an amd man if my comp was running at those temps id be worried cant see why the mb would be higher than the cpu though should be the other way round id be thinking

Jan 30, 2019
quick google search and saw a forum post for the board not showing the right temps might be an issue but yh running in background doesnt take up as much resources as actually playing the game also max running temp is 69c for that cpu whats airflow like inside the case have you tred taking the side panel of and running a big fan on it to increse airflow sounds abit brutish but could help

Jan 30, 2019
yh those cpu temps look fairly high to me considering 69 is ment to be the max and looks like it was running at 73 and max of 84 id try taking the side of and putting a big fan pointed into the case

Jan 31, 2019
So, I opened my CPU and applied more thermal paste to it, removed all the foam pads and cleaned all fans. Tried to game, did not rise higher than 55. I'm wondering if it will keep like this. I have a cooler master fan that should be reasonable, at least, from what people recommended to me. The only thing is that the cooler occupies too much space and I had to take out one of the case fans, which I didn't think should be much of a problem.
In sum, it did not crash while CPU temp did not go too high. Are you guys certain that this is simply a temperature fix? Summers here are infernal, and I might do just that in order to prevent further issues.

Jan 31, 2019
I am happy if that is the case, because there will be a straight forward solution... nevertheless... another crash that I had while having HW Monitor open registered only 49 degrees on the CPU. I will make sure temperature is not going too high and hope that this is the only issue.

Jan 30, 2019
yh temps will cause crashes temp gets to high it will play around with the voltages making it hard for the computer to read not exactly a dictionary so not sure how exactly to put it all to do with the 0 and 1s not quite registering as 0 and 1s

TRENDING THREADS