Question Windows 10 crashing with i5 6600 on Asus h110m-k mobo?

Apr 20, 2021
Changing some components on my brother's PC. The motherboard is an Asus h110m-k and has been running a Pentium G4560 CPU.

I've swapped this for an older i5 6600 CPU, but every time I now try to boot the PC, windows crashes, either at the boot screen (windows logo), or sometimes it'll let me sign in but then crash a few minutes later.

The CPU is definitely listed as compatible with this mobo, and I actually have another one of the same motherboard. When I test the i5 6600 on the other board, it works fine! The only difference between the boards is the board that works has an older BIOS version.

I thought that BIOS updates were generally backwards compatible - i.e.the BIOS version running the G4560 (a newer CPU than i5 6600) should still be able to run the older 6th gen chip. The mobo on the older BIOS version seems to run both just fine.

Can anyone tell me what the issue might be, and how to possibly fix it? Should I revert the first mobo back to the older version of the BIOS, or should this not be a problem?

Apr 20, 2021
CPU temps are fine - both motherboards have the same arctic cooler and have reapplied fresh thermal paste when I've tested on both, temps sitting at around 29 - 35 degrees in BIOS on boot.

On one test, the CPU temps did get too high, but I got a warning right away in the BIOS - seems to have been because the fan wasn't seated properly, re-seated and this didn't happen again on any other tests.

Cheers