Windows 10 Creators update causing RAM usage to be unusually high.

Titration

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
I installed the Creators update a few days ago and all was fine. Today however, while playing Hotline Miami 2 I noticed it was really choppy so I opened the task manager and saw my RAM topping out. I have 16 GB of ram and after restart it idles at 21%! Windows Defender and Chrome are highest in RAM usage but it doesn't seem higher than normal so I have no clue what's causing it. Here is what Task Manager looks like at idle: https://gyazo.com/0529a61f1181d0c6fb64e4c34f800ebe

Even after closing Hotline Miami 2 the ram was still at 100 % and not going down.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Solution
I idle at 29% with just my normal programs open, 24% with only chrome running.

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe) - see if it helps figure out whats eating your ram

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are underservice, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

run it in background and when you get...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I idle at 29% with just my normal programs open, 24% with only chrome running.

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe) - see if it helps figure out whats eating your ram

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are underservice, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

run it in background and when you get to 100%, see whats using it all.

win 10 treats ram differently to previous versions, it doesn't dump things onto page file when closed and holds them in ram until you hit 100% and then should put the data on page file. Sounds like you have drivers that aren't releasing the ram like they should be.

Solution

Titration

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

Thanks for the reply.

I checked my drivers and nothing was outdated or had any issues. I rolled back to Anniversary and it works fine.

When I eventually install the Creators update again and it keeps going I'll try what you suggested :). I saw someone mentioning a Gaming Mode in the display options or something that was causing them issues, not sure if that could have anything to do with it.