[SOLVED] Windows 10 Custom Background Weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2020
I manage multiple networks that are in a Full Mesh configuration. We do not use Microsoft accounts on our Windows machines. We have a satellite office which I am located at. A co-worker in the same office building changed their background to a photo of their family. WEEKS go by without any weirdness happening. One day last week, another co-worker computer had the same exact background. This is just one instance.

The next instance is a computer at a totally different location, over the VPN, also grabbed the same custom desktop background as my co-worker.

The bit of research of this I have done only explains that this is possible with using the same Microsoft account across multiple computers and "synchronizing" each account with Settings->Accounts->Sync your settings which we do not use. We also do not have a Domain Controller.

I can understand the possibility of the first instance being on the same subnet, but across the VPN? We've been using Windows 10 Pro x64 for quite sometime now and have never had something this weird happen before.

Can anyone explain this or has it happened to you before? Thanks!

Solution
gpedit? possibly, but not probable. And, it has to be done on EVERY machine on your network to ensure no repeats (assuming it works).

A domain is going to be the ultimate fix here. And, the longer you wait to do it, the bigger pain it will be and the longer it will take to plan/execute.
Sep 10, 2020
On ALL PC's on the network:

go to start button then click Settings -> Accounts -> Sync your settings and turn off theme sync

This is exactly why large networks should be set up as domains.
Thanks! But this is the problem I run into. This feature is greyed out as we do not log in with a Microsoft account. I cannot disable this feature. Maybe I can in gpedit?

And yes. I am aware. Our goal is to have a Domain. Just have not done it yet.

gpedit? possibly, but not probable. And, it has to be done on EVERY machine on your network to ensure no repeats (assuming it works).

A domain is going to be the ultimate fix here. And, the longer you wait to do it, the bigger pain it will be and the longer it will take to plan/execute.

Reactions: Rathsalt
Solution
Sep 10, 2020

Domain will be the ultimate fix here I agree.

I also find it weird that it would just now start sharing a background. I have 50+ computer's all running Windows 10 Pro x64 for a while now and just now, one pc starts sharing its background?

Anyway, I think this is solved. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.