Question Windows 10 - Default media apps crash/slow computer.

Mar 20, 2019
Hello, sometimes when I open an mp4, mp3, or png/jpg/etc. my computer randomly just slows down greatly for a few seconds, or everything just sequentially freezes (like first I'd click my Firefox and my cursor would go to loading circle, then taskbar and it would do the same) and I am forced to restart my computer. This happens at random with both image files and videos. It seems like it's crashing Windows Explorer or something but I wouldn't know why, and why only sometimes? I have 8GB of RAM, a Radeon R9 380 GPU and an Intel i7 CPU so I can't understand why this is happening. I open these files with all the Windows 10 default apps (Photos, Groove Music, Movies and TV).

UPDATE: This crash happened again when I tried opening a .bat file for a bot I use in an application. The .bat opened fine multiple times before, so I assume it isnt a problem with that. This crash had the same symptoms as the stuff above (file explorer froze, then the taskbar, can't alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete) and was forced to restart my PC.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
Hello

I was wondering if you checked for available graphics driver updates?

Also please check if all the latest Windows updates are installed.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

All my graphics drivers are up to date and the only Windows Update found was one for Windows Defender (which I would assume has nothing to do with my problem but if you think it might, I can restart). Again this happens at random and kinda rarely. If it's any help this problem only seems to occur after my PC has been on for a while. When I go to sleep, I don't turn my PC off but rather put it to sleep and sometimes I do go a few weeks without actually restarting my PC unless something like this happens, in which it doesn't happen for a while.