Windows 10 Desktop hangs even after restore and reset

Loren J

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
My Windows 10 desktop just started acting up out of nowhere - the past few weeks it started spontaneously rebooting on it's own, giving a message that it encountered an error and needed to reboot, then it seemed to run fine after the reboot, but it did this a few times over the past few weeks.

Yesterday, it started hanging with the cursor displaying the blue "processing" circle for very long periods of time, then it might work for a second, then go back to blue circle. While the "processing" circle was spinning, I could still do limited functions like basic browsing if the browser was already open, but I could not close the browser. or open any other programs. I tried system restore at several time points; it did not fix the problem but instead I got stuck in a "Could not repair" loop, and then I did a system reset and it booted up and worked for a few minutes, but then went right back to hanging up for long periods of time.

Does anybody have any ideas, or what my next move should be? Throw in trash and buy new computer? It is a few years old but still seemed to be running well until it suddenly didn't.

Thanks for your ideas / advice!

Solution
Is this a Brand name PC or Custom? If brand name, what make/model? If custom, what specs?

see if this makes any difference
on the screen before you put your login details, in bottom right of screen, click the power button
While holding left shift, click restart button

this should load you into advanced startup
lets try safe mode and see if you get same thing

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

If it runs fine here, the problem might just be drivers

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is this a Brand name PC or Custom? If brand name, what make/model? If custom, what specs?

see if this makes any difference
on the screen before you put your login details, in bottom right of screen, click the power button
While holding left shift, click restart button

this should load you into advanced startup
lets try safe mode and see if you get same thing

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

If it runs fine here, the problem might just be drivers

Solution