Windows 10 Desktop Icons And Folder View are resetting!

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
It only just start happening today, yesterday everything was fine, but now every time I restart or click "Refresh" on my desktop my icons move to the left corner,

How can I fix this please help, I haven't changed any settings for desktop icons or anything at all.

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Hello,

You must have Auto Arrange on. Right click on the desktop and undo Auto Arrange. I would suggest you as well to follow the steps and check if it helps.

a. Right click on the desktop.
b. Choose "Personalize".
c. On the left hand side of this control panel, click "Change desktop icons."
d. Uncheck the box "Allow themes to change desktop icons."

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Hello,

I would recommend to create first a system restore point before proceeding. Try browsing in the regedit and look for this folder and delete it.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\clsid\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}]

Delete {42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1} and try again moving your icons.

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

I've checked and I don't have that folder, I don't understand what that even is.

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Have you tried to create another profile and see if the icons also misbehaves?

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Try resetting your Windows 10, Windows 10 will allow you to reinstall the OS without having to lose your files.

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I'll just try other things first, if that doesn't work well then I can just wait for a windows update to possibly fix it. If it broke itself, it might sort itself out.

I'll try resetting my OS as a last resort.

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Try running a SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10. This option scans the integrity of all system files and repairs files with problems (ex: corrupted or modified) when possible.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

3. When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see a Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations message.

NOTE: You will see a blinking cursor at the prompt until finished. This will take a while to finish running though.

If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 times restarting the PC after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.

If not, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow command again.

If still not, then do a system restore using a restore point dated before the bad system file occurred to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a system restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I've tried the sfc /scannow thing, didn't work, it showed everything was fine, but I'll try it again as you stated. Also windows 10 didn't automatically make restore points... so I don't have a restore point now.

I'm going to reset the PC... seems like my only option,

Edit: Uhhh... just checked... it will delete like all the important apps that will be a pain to install, some even which I wont be able to download again.. I'd rather wait for an update to possibly fix this, I'm going to try Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command.

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Yes, actually whichever option you pick, you’ll still need to reinstall all of your apps and desktop programs, and reconfigure your settings.

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I'm pretty sure I've found the virus thats causing all of this.. Used Revo uninstaller and it found somewhere in my HKEY_CURRENT_USER that theres a virus..

Im just gonna reset my PC then it seems since it deleted it and it still didnt work, any help?

Edit: just gonna get this over with..

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
This is getting really annoying.. I've reset my PC and everything was fine for a few restarts, then I installed windows updates, and Newer GPU drivers and the problem came back.... I've tried removing the updates and rolled back my gpu drivers and still its broken...

I lost all my apps... and this is still not fixed...

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
It also appears to be broken while I explore files.. In example I set 1 folder so the files would be large, but when I exit out the folder and enter it back in, it reset and went back to details view..

Why do I even bother..

tiaminadia

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

hello

I have the same problem after updating !

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

Were not the only ones with this issue, there are a few other threads here... as well as this one on another website,
http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/17175-windows-10-folder-view-settings-desktop-icon-positions-not-saving.html

There are some things you can try mentioned ^ There... but they didn't work for me personally, My best bet is to wait for Windows Updates to Fix This Issue.

tiaminadia

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

yes, agree with you.
I have also sent feedback to microsoft using windows feedback app (there were some people with this issue as well)

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

Lets hope Microsoft fixes this issue, It drove me nuts and made me reset my whole PC, haha... Thought it was a virus Hopefully not, I've messed up my computer while trying to fix this issue..

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

Yeah I know, I'm keeping track of the stuff thats going on in those other forums.
People already contacted ESET Support a few days ago and they are currently working on a fix.

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
FIX HAS BEEN FOUND! Here is the Thread: http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/17175-windows-10-folder-view-settings-desktop-icon-positions-not-saving-24.html Follow the instructions Chimera8888 Posted.

A FIX WAS FOUND ON THE ESET WEBSITE
I will provide the FIX here and walk you through it
FIX was found by AREZCO

In regedit go to those 2 destinations

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\
and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\

Double click on (Default) and replace "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\shell32.dll" with "%SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll" in both file destinations then restart your PC and everything should work fine !!
IF YOU NEED TO GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO EDIT THE REGISTRY KEYS THEN FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS

You need to give yourself permission to edit the registry keys
Start by right-clicking on the last sub-key which in this case is InProcServer32 and click on Permissions the Advanced then change Ownership to yourself.
Assuming you're on Windows 10 click on Change -> Advanced again -> Find Now -> Administrators.
Then tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and also "Replace all child object permission entries..."
Click OK
Then select "Administrators" in the Permissions window you first opened and tick "Full Control" then hit OK
Do that to the InProcServer32 folder and the {42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1} ​in both HKEY paths