Windows 10 Desktop Icons And Folder View are resetting!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
It only just start happening today, yesterday everything was fine, but now every time I restart or click "Refresh" on my desktop my icons move to the left corner,

How can I fix this please help, I haven't changed any settings for desktop icons or anything at all.

tiaminadia

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Great and thank you.

I dont have the chance to try it :D

before reading your last post, i restored a backup image of my windows, and this time instead of installing ESET smart security 8, i tried 9 beta.
I then installed windows updates
(and I made a restore point in each step)

seems there's no issue now. I let you know if it'll happen again and I will use this fix then :)

markothegreat

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Sorry but the issue is not with ESET as I don't use it at all and am still experiencing the issue. I've given up on MS ever doing anything to resolve any issues whatsoever. They seem to be focused on spying rather than producing good software. So, for now, I am using DesktopOK to save my icon placement and can reset it back to where I want them with two clicks. I know it doesn't solve the issue, but it's a pretty convenient fix. My icon positions reset sometimes up to five times a day.

I'm using a 1080gtx FTW with a Dell 4k pro monitor (3216q) with a brand new installation of Windows 10 Pro. This is the third clean installation that I am experiencing this on. In fact, I haven't seen any Win10Pro NOT do this.

Lucas_96

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
I was having the same problem, but I was unable to do literally anything by clicking. I took these steps and it fixed it for me:
1. Open Task Manager
2. Click "Run New Task" under File in the top left
3. If you can, type msconfig
4. Go to the services tab
5. scroll until you find "Shell Hardware Detection"
6. Uncheck the box
7. Click apply
8. Fixed! (for me)

I hope this helps. Good luck.