Question Windows 10 Desktop pop-up about remote access certificate.

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Hi,
I randomly had a window pop up on my desktop but it disappeared before I could screenshot it or even read the whole thing.
It said something about a remote access certificate and it said the valid date was from January 10th to march 29th. It also said this remote access was from Facebook.
I'm using Windows 10 Home which doesn't allow me to even use remote access and I also don't use Facebook. I ran some scans but nothing is showing up and I'm concerned about it being some kind of virus.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Thanks.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi,
I randomly had a window pop up on my desktop but it disappeared before I could screenshot it or even read the whole thing.
It said something about a remote access certificate and it said the valid date was from January 10th to march 29th. It also said this remote access was from Facebook.
I'm using Windows 10 Home which doesn't allow me to even use remote access and I also don't use Facebook. I ran some scans but nothing is showing up and I'm concerned about it being some kind of virus.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Thanks.
It’s most likely a website sending notifications from your browser. The IT company I work for has seen a lot of users getting notifications like this that look real to get website clicks or to download actual malware. What browser are you using? Might want to check the permissions for anything that has notifications enabled.

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
It’s most likely a website sending notifications from your browser. The IT company I work for has seen a lot of users getting notifications like this that look real to get website clicks or to download actual malware. What browser are you using? Might want to check the permissions for anything that has notifications enabled.
I'm using Edge, and I just did what you said and checked notification settings and there are a couple of sites with notification settings enabled, so I'm gonna assume it was that.
Thank you !

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I'm using Edge, and I just did what you said and checked notification settings and there are a couple of sites with notification settings enabled, so I'm gonna assume it was that.
Thank you !
Cool, make sure not to allow notifications when a website asks. One of the users I assisted had a full-screen one saying that they were hacked but the website was just in full-screen. Always good to do virus scans just in case. Malwarebytes has a free trial and has a pretty good reputation if you want to try that.