Question Windows 10 desktop won't power down (tried usual things..)

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
I have a Windows 10 desktop which won't power down . It just sits on the shuting down screen for ever.

I have the latest bios (TUF 370 gaming MB), latest windows patches. Fairly usual spec i5/16GB/480 SSD/ RX 480 graphics.

It was fine for a long time but just in the last few months, approx half the time it won't turn off.

I have tried enable/disable fast boot,
sfc /scannow,
shutdown /p batch file
In Intel(R) Management Engine Interface, I Unchecked Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

I'm baffled, any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
Tried resetting the bios? it could be a power setting in bios conflicting with windows 10

when you say fast boot, do you mean fast startup in windows?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
Yes, I mean the fast startup option.

it could be a power setting in bios conflicting with windows 10

It's all default apart from mem speed profile, (should be anyway..) but yup worth a shot

The problem is intermittent, which makes tracking down harder but yes (thanks) I'll try the clean boot and a good dose of patience!

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
Just a thought, but rather than this fun game of hide and seek, wouldn't it be nice if microsoft could just
report what it can't shut down...
?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if fast startup is turned off, and clean boot doesn't fix it, it can't be a startup program. I only suggest a clean boot as shutdown would be when any of the startup programs need to be saved to ram and a signal is sent to let windows shut off.

Have you looked in event viewer?
open Event viewer
Go to Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics / Performance > Operational.
Sort the 'Task Category' column alphabetically.
Look at all items under the category 'Shutdown Performance Monitoring'
Try to spot anything odd.

that is for win 7, I assume its the same in 10. I got it from here but I am not sure if the registry options shown here would work on 10, and I would make sure to backup registry before making any changes - https://superuser.com/questions/758...n-during-windows-shutdown-logging-off-process

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
if fast startup is turned off, and clean boot doesn't fix it, it can't be a startup program. I only suggest a clean boot as shutdown would be when any of the startup programs need to be saved to ram and a signal is sent to let windows shut off.

Have you looked in event viewer?
open Event viewer
Go to Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics / Performance > Operational.
Sort the 'Task Category' column alphabetically.
Look at all items under the category 'Shutdown Performance Monitoring'
Try to spot anything odd.

that is for win 7, I assume its the same in 10. I got it from here but I am not sure if the registry options shown here would work on 10, and I would make sure to backup registry before making any changes - https://superuser.com/questions/758...n-during-windows-shutdown-logging-off-process
That's helpful, thanks.
Nothing much in the event viewer, lots of warnings but no useful info. One error on DSmSVC but I've had more than one failed shutdown...
I'll try verbose in the shutdown now...
Cheers
Steve

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
How did you go?
Just had a shutdown hang, the verbose info came and went, then it hung up at "Shutting down".
Nothing in the event log, aside from a warning Shutdown Performance Monitoring which seemed
to be about a local service, but had no useful info.
I've taken out a few things I obviously don't need from msconfig but since it's only (maybe) 30% of the
time, it's painful trying to guess what to exclude.
This is just a feeling, but it seems to be a problem when my son has been on the pc gaming for a while, but not always.
If I do a quick startup/shutdown (say 5 mins) then it's (as far as I can remember) it's ok.
Weird.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you try the resetting bios thing? it could be a setting in bios that is contradicting windows and making it not shutdown properly. hence it hangs waiting for BIOS to turn PC off or to do a restart. Did it hang when it should restart or after the restart?

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
Hi,

Yes I did a bios upgrade, then set to default, then just my single change to XMP profile 1 (3000 Mhz Ram).
(I had that single setting change long before this problem started).

It hung saying restarting, ie: just before it should restart.

Thanks
Steve

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
PSU is a Corsair TX650, should be plenty.
Hardware not changed since new, didn't have this problem for a long time with this config/hardware.

Years ago I had a PSU fail, random blue screen errors, took me ages to figure out what it was.
This doesn't feel like that, it's a very specific (occasional) shutdown issue only.

I've deleted several startup services, just gradually working through them, it's tricky with an elusive problem.
However, since I deleted 3x Intel ones (which I suspect came with an intel management tool I got a while back)
then so far so good. (I deleted the tool). It's not 100%, but it's not hung up since....

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
it can't be start up programs as a clean boot stops them all and it still hangs,

I see if i can get more suggestions

What USB devices do you have apart from mouse/kb?

I have one Xbox controller on USB, but it was there way before this issue started.

Just to say, I've selectively turned off non microsoft startup programs, I can't turn them all off (totally clean boot)
since the problem might not happen for several days and I'm a little concerned by running with everything
off, I'd only be sure after a couple of weeks....
That said there really isn't much which I haven't tried turning off now.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
How about if you boot to safe mode, then try a normal shutdown from there

or

Do win+r, type: services.msc and find DSmSVC or Device Setup manager service and disable it and then try a reboot.

This is just to test to see if this is the service that is preventing a proper shutdown.

And like @Colif asked, what else is connected to the PC? Anything that comes up as unrecognized or missing drivers in device manager?

Lutfij

Titan
Mind if I ask how old that PSU is? Also, which version of Windows 10 are you working with?

I've come around a couple of threads where they state they're on the latest "everything" but they have one or more things pending update. So if you could also include the BIOS version.

Also,
Fairly usual spec i5/16GB/480 SSD/ RX 480 graphics.
can you pass on a PCPartpicker list for your usual specs?

Ideally we'll need you to pass on the specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Try breadoarding the system with bare minimum, remove CMOS battery for at least 15 minutes and then replace(though don't enable X.M.P) and see if you get any issues shutting down or restarting.

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
How about if you boot to safe mode, then try a normal shutdown from there

or

Do win+r, type: services.msc and find DSmSVC or Device Setup manager service and disable it and then try a reboot.

This is just to test to see if this is the service that is preventing a proper shutdown.

And like @Colif asked, what else is connected to the PC? Anything that comes up as unrecognized or missing drivers in device manager?
Trouble with safemode or disabling something is that it shutdowns down ok maybe 90% of the time anyway
so it's really hard to prove.
The problem is right before that final "pink" (noise not colour) just before it powers off or restarts.
Nothing unrecognized or missing drivers.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
I see, yes then it is hard to tell. So if you disable the service, you would have to see if it fixes the problem over time. I initially thought that you have this problem every time you try to shutdown.

BrimH

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
PC was built using new components about 2 years ago.
Shutdown problem only happening in the last few months.

CPU: i5-8400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: TUF Z370 PLUS GAMING (BIOS 2401 x64)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4
SSD/HDD: Samsung 500GB 860 evo SSD
GPU: RX480
PSU: Cosair TX650
Chassis: Cooler Master
Windows 10 Home 10.0.18363

I'll try with disabling the XMP etc..

TRENDING THREADS