Windows 10 does not boot after fresh install

Provin915

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2015
Hey guys,

I recently upgraded my old pc with a fresh new SSD and HDD. When I try to install Windows 10 by USB it goes fine. The problem occurs afterwards; in the BIOS i change the boot priority 1 to SSD. Afterwards, I remove the SSD from the pc and restart it. The screen stays on the Asrock logo with all the options to go to BIOS etc and after a couple of seconds the screen goes black and the same thing happens. Oddly enough, during this I am unable to access to BIOS unless I put the USB back in.

I have tried to reinstall again after formatting SSD and leave boot priority 1 to USB and boot priority 2 to SSD, but the same problem occurs.

Solution
Leaving the HDD attached is just going to confuse your Boot Order, even if you think it doesn't. It honestly shouldn't but computers are very literal.

You might also just have an issue with the installation media, may want to try a different form of installing it. Perhaps burn to a CD or try a different USB storage device. I've had cases where one installation media fails, tried another and it worked. So you may want to try that if unattaching the HDD doesn't work.

You also may want to try cloning the drive. Use a tool like Macrium Reflect or Drive Cloner Rx and copy it over. May be easier that way.

Provin915

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2015

I believe it has no effect. Currently, boot 1 is set as SSD and boot 2 as USB. When I restart it tells me to ''reboot and select proper boot device''. Anyways, I will try to re-install Windows 10 yet again on the SSD with the HDD unplugged.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Leaving the HDD attached is just going to confuse your Boot Order, even if you think it doesn't. It honestly shouldn't but computers are very literal.

You might also just have an issue with the installation media, may want to try a different form of installing it. Perhaps burn to a CD or try a different USB storage device. I've had cases where one installation media fails, tried another and it worked. So you may want to try that if unattaching the HDD doesn't work.

You also may want to try cloning the drive. Use a tool like Macrium Reflect or Drive Cloner Rx and copy it over. May be easier that way.

Solution

Provin915

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2015

I'll try to install again with the HDD unplugged. I just found that my BIOS has a newer version available. I might try other things before I am going to update my BIOS.