Windows 10 does not boot anymore

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hello,

As the title says, my windows 10 will not start up anymore. Yesterday evening last time i used it it worked perfectly, i shut it down normally.

I woke up this morning and my windows just does not want to start up again.

On boot it gives me this:

------------------------------------------
Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
To fix this problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next."
3. Click repair your computer

If you do not have this disc contact system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File : \boot\bcd

Info: The boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
-----------------------------------------------------

I have not changed any hard or software "recently" as in the past 1-2 weeks.
I have not changed hardware for at least a month.

What i have tried so far is:

Booted from the windows installation and went to repair.

I have tried to do the automatic startup repair -> it said it cannot repair it

I tried using system restore -> To use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System restore.

I went to DaRT but i cant use SFC scan -> Tool requires a supported offline OS

Next thing i tried was using CMD

tried sfc /scannow -> Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation.

i tried bootrec /rebuildbcd -> succesfully scanned window installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] E:\windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A)
I pressed Y ->
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I have tried chkdsk e:/r -> took about 2-3 hours and still the same problem.

When i browse my hdd I see C: E: and X:
C: containing a few hidden folders boot, recovery, system volume information and a visible temp folder

E: seems to be my hdd as i last recalled it

Boot (X) has program files and (x86), program data, recoveryLogs, Sources, Users, Windows.

Last time i used my desktop everything I See in E: used to be in my C: i'm not sure if thats how its supposed to be or not but i really don't know what to do here anymore

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me here

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

1. its a desktop as I've stated in the topic.

2. "reinstall" that's an option anyone could've come up with. If it was just a matter of reinstalling i wouldn't have put my time in making this topic as I wouldn't have spend my entire day trying to get this desktop to run again.

3. I didn't start this topic either to get "windows 10 sucks" answers either. I'm not saying its the best. i'm saying windows 10 has been running on my laptop since its release and works perfectly fine and has been running on my desktop for more than a month and have had no issues with it.

This all being said, i should have stated that i want reinstalling to be my absolute last solution. there is a LOT of stuff i still need that'ss on that disk. and i'm not going to be able to get stuff of of my disk for at least a week. Besides that. i don't wish to lose all the configurations I've done, reinstall all the drivers and software i use (that's going to be more then 2 days to reinstall all the software I'm running on it

Colif

Win 11 Master
Souynds like your partiton table is corrupted - a similar story: http://superuser.com/questions/544249/whole-working-windows-7-partition-on-ssd-suddenly-became-unallocated-disk-spa

If you can get your drive working again, and if you updated the pc from win 7 to win 10, I would suggest a fresh install at some stage as the hard drive is still using MBR I think and would benefit from GPT as the second has multiple backup partition tables so if one is corrupted, the drive just uses the backup.

Also, don't feed the trolls. It only makes them stronger :)

aparnell572

Reputable
Mar 30, 2016

As a quick question, how old is the HDD you are using? Being an issue with core startup files when you haven't modified the system is abnormal.

But from the information you submitted it seems that your HDD could've failed, system couldn't contact or fix the basic startup files (BCD). The best route would be to create a recovery disk using a different PC and attempt a repair, good luck.

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
So i got my HDD working again, not sure how it happened....

Been trying a lot of different stuff and suddenly the chkdsk /r option did its thing....
i can now boot and use my computer like i could before but i'm still wondering if it's going to happen again...

And yes the HDD is about 5-6 years old... maybe it's time for an upgrade..