Windows 10 does not register microphone input

May 26, 2018
I am trying to use a Turtle Beach Earforce x12 headset with my laptop. The headset has the dual green/pink 3.5mm outputs, while the laptop only has the one 3.5mm jack. The headphones component works fine when just the green input is plugged in, but my computer does not recognize the microphone when the pink input is plugged in, and defaults to the microphone built-in on the laptop. There is no indication that the microphone is plugged in, either in the sounds menu or in device manager. I plugged the headset into another computer I own (it has the separate mic/headphone ports) and both the microphone and headphones worked just fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek Audio drivers. Device manager also shows "Intel Display Audio" and "NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)" in the "Sound, video and game controllers" category, not sure if these are relevant. Also have Waves MaxxAudioPro installed. Again, not sure if this is relevant.

Computer:
Dell XPS 15 9560 Signature Edition
Windows 10 Education version 1803

May 26, 2018

I just picked this one up yesterday, but after just now looking at the specs, it says its a 3-pin output. Is this definitely the problem or could something else be going on? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GCV97P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it's only sound I/O on the computer it must be 4pin and for that adapter is a must. 3pin and 4pin connectors just don't have pins/rings align and also 3 pin just doeasn't have enough contacts.
On both oft hem ring next to base is is common/ground, top is one channel and one of rings the other, 4 pin has another "extra" ring for mic input. 3pin sockets are same for input and output.

May 26, 2018

Sorry for the hiatus, I've been on vacation the last week. I looked at the adapter you listed and ordered one from Amazon with what I believe are the same specifications, two female 3-pin 3.5mm to one male 4-pin 3.5mm <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HAVSPOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>. Should be coming in tomorrow, I'll update you when it comes in.

May 26, 2018

the adapter came in, but I'm not pleased with it. First off, it only has two of the black stripes on the male end, while the pictures online show 3, and there are no indicators for the mic/headset female ends, making me think this is not the product I wanted. I plugged in the adapter and recording myself on Audacity. Listening back, I can faintly hear myself talk behind loud static. I don't think this adapter is what I wanted. Any tips? I'm getting more and more frustrated with this and will likely just buy a new headset.

Update: an adapter I already had and tried before suddenly is working. Thanks for sticking with me mike.