Question windows 10 doesn't see 5ghz wifi - super frustrating

felix.fainshtein

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
Hi all,
I bought the Edimax AC1750 EW-7833UAC wireless adapter, and as far as I can tell, it's supposed to support 5ghz wifi.
Also, I KNOW my router supports it, see attached what it says in it's login page -
"wifi mode: a / n / ac
Bandwidth: 80MHz
channel selection: Auto. Current: 52 + 56 + 60 +64
No matter what I do, I can't get the adapter to see the signal.
I tried going to device manager -> network adapter -> my edimax adapter -> proprties -> advanced -> wireless, and then tried all options that were there:
IEEE 802.11a
IEEE 802.11a/n
IEEE 802.11a/n/ac
IEEE 802.11ac
IEEE 802.11b
IEEE 802.11b/g
IEEE 802.11b/g/n
and it still can't find it. I'm not a networking expert and I thought that there would be no problem for this adapter to work with my router. Was I wrong? Are they not compatible?
And if they are, what could possible be the problem? :(

Lutfij

Titan
By router, what is the make and model of your (wireless)router? Does the router have any firmware updates pending? Did you make sure you've installed the wireless adapter's drivers sourcing from here? You don't have a driver past 2017, mind you.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,
I bought the Edimax AC1750 EW-7833UAC wireless adapter, and as far as I can tell, it's supposed to support 5ghz wifi.
Also, I KNOW my router supports it, see attached what it says in it's login page -
"wifi mode: a / n / ac
Bandwidth: 80MHz
channel selection: Auto. Current: 52 + 56 + 60 +64
No matter what I do, I can't get the adapter to see the signal.
I tried going to device manager -> network adapter -> my edimax adapter -> proprties -> advanced -> wireless, and then tried all options that were there:
IEEE 802.11a
IEEE 802.11a/n
IEEE 802.11a/n/ac
IEEE 802.11ac
IEEE 802.11b
IEEE 802.11b/g
IEEE 802.11b/g/n
and it still can't find it. I'm not a networking expert and I thought that there would be no problem for this adapter to work with my router. Was I wrong? Are they not compatible?
And if they are, what could possible be the problem? :(
One possibility is the WIFI channel that your 5Ghz WIFI is on. The allowable channels vary by country. You could manually set the WIFI channel in your router to a value less than 50. The channels lower than 50 are available in all countries.
This is a change you make on the router, not on the PC

ASK THE COMMUNITY