Windows (10) drive disconnects (isn't a bootable drive unless I restart)

Ryan_171

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
My WD Blue 1TB HDD is great, it has a huge capacity and all, I love it. About 3-4 months ago, I bought it and Windows 10, installed it, blah blah blah, but it had a problem. The computer would slowly become unresponsive, freeze and then BSoD and pop up a message asking to put in a bootable drive (or whatever the message says) and press any key to continue. I do not know how I fixed this issue before, but I did. I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on the drive (clean install) and now it is doing the disconnecting thing again. It's also not saving my settings after it crashes, like for instance, I accidentally turned off/hid the time and every time I reboot it's hidden again, even though I think microsoft accounts should save all your settings, I could be wrong.

TiA.

Solution
This is very unfortunate, Ryan, I'm really sorry to hear about your WD Blue! :( Trust me, we've all suffered through the headaches of data loss! I know I did!
I believe that you should be able to RMA your WD Blue, since it's only a couple of months old. Either way, you need to check its warranty status here first. If the HDD is still covered, you should be able to get a replacement. In order to do that, though, you need to get in touch with the reseller or our WD Customer Support for assistance.

In the future, make sure you always remember that "backup" means that you have your data stored in at least two (2) locations. Moving data from your system drive to an external hard drive or another...
Welcome to the TH community, @Ryan!

I'd advise you to backup your data from the WD Blue somewhere else first and then proceed with the troubleshooting of the drive. If it disconnects, you should probably try using a different SATA cable and plugging it to another SATA port on the motherboard. If that doesn't help, you should definitely try running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. The software will help us determine the health and SMART status of your WD Blue.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting & Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Ryan_172

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

So the problem was it had too many bad sectors, and it crashed just after saying what was wrong with it. I tried to log-in via google but I had to make a new Username. Anyway, I reinstalled Windows 10 on my other HDD I had lying around. I don't care all that much about data, because it can just be remade, and I backed everything that I couldn't (or a pain) to get back, like music and some files, etc.

This is very unfortunate, Ryan, I'm really sorry to hear about your WD Blue! :( Trust me, we've all suffered through the headaches of data loss! I know I did!
I believe that you should be able to RMA your WD Blue, since it's only a couple of months old. Either way, you need to check its warranty status here first. If the HDD is still covered, you should be able to get a replacement. In order to do that, though, you need to get in touch with the reseller or our WD Customer Support for assistance.

In the future, make sure you always remember that "backup" means that you have your data stored in at least two (2) locations. Moving data from your system drive to an external hard drive or another internal HDD is not a backup, unless there is already a duplicate of the file on a different drive!

Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Ryan_172

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I know I should have a better backup, like the drive I'm currently using could have already had windows and whatever else on it, but I simply can't afford more than one drive, the drive I'm using (the one that was lying around) was one I actually had before I upgraded so I was lucky I had that around.

TRENDING THREADS