Windows 10 - Drive not recognized - Repair Loop When Plugged In

goneriah

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
So after about 9 hours I figured I would ask a question in the same place I get most of my answers anyway. Here goes, and thank you for any help you may be in advance - this will be lengthy.

Prior to the issue I am having I was running Windows 10 (upgraded from 7 Ultimate) on an SSD along with a second SSD I used for games, Steam, Origin, etc.

I just purchased a new SSD and did a fresh installation of Windows 10 Enterprise using the ISO from the MSPartner site on a USB drive. The install went pretty much as smooth as it could. The drive I was using for games was recognized and I started to install all my programs I needed. Now, I don't know if this is the cause or it's purely coincidental, but sometime after I installed Visual Studio Community my Games drive was no longer recognized. I then rebooted my computer and it sat at the Windows Logo Loading screen (the one with the circle of dots telling you it's thinking) and I stared at it for about 5 minutes. I rebooted my machine and was greeted by the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen which I learned afterwards was a bug in Win10. I tried a bunch of solutions I read online including the Startup Repair option from the USB I used to install with. All that got me was all of my drivers and core program exe's erased after no prompt or warning. So after I vowed to strike down Bill Gates I then tried to wipe everything clean and start over but I got the "The disk Windows is on is locked, haha". I tried running a chkdsk on my boot drive but I got the "volume is busy" error and when I chose the option to schedule it on next reboot nothing happend. The only thing that gets my PC to boot is to unplug the drive I keep all my games on. If it's just my boot drive and my new storage HDD everything is fine.

So, I guess my questions boil down to these.
- How the hell can I access my games drive to reformat it.
- How the hell can I unlock my boot drive should I choose to do another fresh install.
- Where the hell can I find Terry Myerson so I can kick him square in his happy little balls.

Thanks TH.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
First - you should try using a docking station (from another computer/laptop) to check the contents of the drive and also possibly copy off of the drive so you can reformat it.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Plastic-2-5-Inch-3-5-Inch-Docking/dp/B002ZFF3KU/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451941359&sr=1-3&keywords=docking+station&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6022609011

(Always good to have one on hand anyway)

To me it reads like you maybe (somehow) got a boot partition on your Game HD SSD and when both are installed your MB is trying to boot from the Game SSD, but that doesn't have Windows on it. You can check that from the pod to see if there are any other (small) partitions on it. Also maybe from your BIOS, ensure that the OS SSD is "first" in the boot order (after the CD/DVD drive if you want that first), and even take the Game SSD completely out of the boot options.

goneriah

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

My gaming drive doesn't even show up in the bios. It went from working to completely unrecognizable and there's no way it failed. I had to put my old drive in for work so I'm going to see what happens with everything with this in.