Question Windows 10 Dual Boot install... getting "insufficient space message"

soloalpinist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
I have a PC running Windows 7 and I added a new 1TB SSD on which to install Windows 10 as a Dual Boot.

When I try to install Windows 10 Pro from the USB (created with RUFUS from a Windows 10 ISO) onto the new 1TB SSD I get the message "insufficient space available" on the SSD. I've tried a few times and keep getting this message.

Do I need to unplug my C: Drive (Windows 7) to do this install?

What could cause the Windows 10 installer to say there is insufficient space on an empty 1TB SSD?

Thanks for any advice

Also, go into your BIOS and see if it shows as Legacy, UEFI, or some hybrid. I'm thinking you'd have to have hybrid to mix 7 and 10. However, that would also mean that likely you'd end up having to pick which drive to use in the BIOS at boot time unless the Windows 10 install can chain load to the Legacy Windows 7. The non-O/S content is different in how it is stored between the two modes.

EDIT: You could install as you mentioned with just the new SSD and see what happens. Possibly you'd need to enable UEFI mode in BIOS. Then legacy for the old Win 7.

soloalpinist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
I have a PC running Windows 7 and I've installed an additional (New) 1TB SSD so I can install Windows 10 on it for a Dual Boot System. I used Rufus to put the Windows 10 ISO onto a USB flash drive and have been attempting to install Windows to to the new SSD but I keep getting a message that there is "insufficient space" on the new SSD to allow the install.

Is my C Drive with Windows 7 creating a conflict possibly? Someone recommended disconnecting the C Drive (Windows 7) while installing Win 10 on the new SSD drive and then reconnecting the C Drive again later. Is this necessary ... or a good idea?

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers!

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I have a PC running Windows 7 and I've installed an additional (New) 1TB SSD so I can install Windows 10 on it for a Dual Boot System. I used Rufus to put the Windows 10 ISO onto a USB flash drive and have been attempting to install Windows to to the new SSD but I keep getting a message that there is "insufficient space" on the new SSD to allow the install.

Is my C Drive with Windows 7 creating a conflict possibly? Someone recommended disconnecting the C Drive (Windows 7) while installing Win 10 on the new SSD drive and then reconnecting the C Drive again later. Is this necessary ... or a good idea?

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers!
What does disk manager show about your drive?

USAFRet

Titan
So, your current C drive is Disk 1, the 500GB Samsung 840 Pro?

Where do you want to install Win 10 to?

What is happening is that trying to do this dualboot thing, it is trying put the boot info for the WIn 10, into the same 100MB partition on Disk 1.
There is not enough free space in that partition to do this.

I strongly suggest you physically disconnect ALL drives except the one you want WIn 10 on.
Let that drive and OS manage its own boot partition.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
It says the drive has 932.51 GB Unallocated
How do you allocate an unallocated partition?

Step 1: Right-click Windows icon and select Disk Management. Step 2: Locate and right-click on unallocated space in Disk Management, select "New Simple Volume". Step 3: Specify the partition size and click "Next" to continue. Step 4: Set a drive letter, file system - NTFS, and other settings to the new partitions

soloalpinist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
So, your current C drive is Disk 1, the 500GB Samsung 840 Pro?

Where do you want to install Win 10 to?

What is happening is that trying to do this dualboot thing, it is trying put the boot info for the WIn 10, into the same 100MB partition on Disk 1.
There is not enough free space in that partition to do this.

I strongly suggest you physically disconnect ALL drives except the one you want WIn 10 on.
Let that drive and OS manage its own boot partition.
I've been trying to install Windows 10 on Disk 0... the unallocated 1TB Drive.
If I disconnect all disks (except Disk 0) and install Windows 10 on it... will I have the option to boot to Windows 7 or Windows 10 at start-up?

Thanks