Question Windows 10 DVD installation trouble (Asking for an upgrade?)

SimplyVarek

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
So, I've had this PC for quite a few years, kept it updated for most of its life. Originally had Windows 7 on it, then upgraded it to 10. Recently, my hard drive decided to burn out and I lost everything. I've bought a new hard drive and tried to restore my OS by using a recovery drive I formatted through my laptop, thinking it would work since my PC and laptop were linked. Didn't work and I ended up buying a DVD copy of Windows 10 for fresh installation. However, when I put it in, and boot up my PC, it recognizes the disc and starts going through the Data collection of the installation process (where it asks for your product key). After putting in my key, the next screen only gives me two options. I either upgrade my OS (which I can't since it's a fresh new hard drive and there is no OS on it.) Or do the advanced, custom installation route, which gives me 5 storage options on where to store the OS information, but, none of the options work. I try formatting them to the OS and it says it fails, or it's the wrong file type (or something along those lines, I'm not in front of my PC right now). Do I need to mess around with something through my BIOS? How can I get around this "block" and get my OS working??

USAFRet

Titan
If this was upgraded from WIn 7 to Win 10, you did not need to buy anything.

Create your own DVD or USB:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then, install on the new drive:

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
Can you return the windows dvd? If you can do it i have a method so you need to pay 3 euro for windows 10 pro. Assuming you still have the laptop you need to have a usb with atleast 6gb of storage.

Get the computer and go to this website> https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/software-download/windows10

Run the application go trough the application until it gives you 2 options select the usb option. Then select the usb. The application will create the usb to act like a cd. So when it is done remove the usb and get over to the pc with the new HDD. Plug in the USB. Head to the BIOS and go to BOOT(May vary) Then select the USB to boot it off the usb. If you have done this correctly then you should see a windows 10 setup. Select windows 10 pro variant. Select the HDD and run the setup. If you run into issues please let me know.

Windows 10 pro key, verified to work by myself.
<REDACTED>

USAFRet

Titan
Can you return the windows dvd? If you can do it i have a method so you need to pay 3 euro for windows 10 pro. Assuming you still have the laptop you need to have a usb with atleast 6gb of storage.

Get the computer and go to this website> https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/software-download/windows10

Run the application go trough the application until it gives you 2 options select the usb option. Then select the usb. The application will create the usb to act like a cd. So when it is done remove the usb and get over to the pc with the new HDD. Plug in the USB. Head to the BIOS and go to BOOT(May vary) Then select the USB to boot it off the usb. If you have done this correctly then you should see a windows 10 setup. Select windows 10 pro variant. Select the HDD and run the setup. If you run into issues please let me know.

Windows 10 pro key, verified to work by myself.
<REDACTED>
He does not need to pay "3 Euro", he does not need to buy anything.
The system was already licensed and activated with Win 10.
A clean install on a new drive needs no license key purchase.

And "Win 10 Pro" for "3 Euro" is so far beyond valid...it is laughable.

SimplyVarek

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
Sorry for the late reply, everyone. School and work keeping me busy. Anyways, I tried making a fresh USB from Microsoft's site, and followed the steps on the clean install guide. 3 things happen. I go through the installation, everything goes smoothly and installs "correctly", but when it's done and boots back up, it will either go back to the installation screen, I get a stop code screen, or, it just says "Something went wrong" and I either press enter to try again or press F8 and given some kind of debugging list.