[SOLVED] Windows 10 eating up 40% of ram in idle

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Hello, I have this strange problem in windows where it uses 6 Gb of ram while idle. Keep in mind that chrome is now using 800 mb and the rest is unclear. I remember sometime back in the day on this computer i enabled an option i think was called remember windows state after reboot, it means that if i turn off my computer with several things open it will remember what i had open and it will open those things at the same place and time it was last remembered at, kind of like chrome has that restore button. please help as this is just so annoying.

Solution
Windows only occupies a few gig of ram. But windows will automatically load your most used programs into memory (Dates back to when we had slow hard drives.) for faster start of programs.
Although the memory is used , it is not static. it can be overwritten if you run short of free memory. (memory with nothing in it)
It is how it is. Using less ram causes more hard drive reads and a slower computer.
Operating systems always use as much RAM as possible to speed up things.

It's actually a good thing, too much free RAM == waste of money.

Moreover, if you have an SSD, you might want your operating system to use more RAM to prevent early death of the SSD.

Windows only occupies a few gig of ram. But windows will automatically load your most used programs into memory (Dates back to when we had slow hard drives.) for faster start of programs.
Although the memory is used , it is not static. it can be overwritten if you run short of free memory. (memory with nothing in it)
It is how it is. Using less ram causes more hard drive reads and a slower computer.

Solution