[SOLVED] Windows 10 Education and other versions

mangaman

Honorable
My college offers Windows 10 Education, along with other versions of Windows 10 for free. These include Windows 10 consumer editions, Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Education N, Windows 10 version 1809 and Windows 10 IoT core. The thing is, what's the difference between these versions? Does Windows 10 Education N have bloatware preinstalled such as Candycrush, or is it just the base operating system? Does Education N and non N have cortana on them, and what does the N even mean?

Any information about this confusion would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
OKay, so its just the normal consumer edition, I wasn't sure as you had already mentioned it.

Edu license end date
my understanding is that it is up to the college to enforce the licensing as i think batches of licenses might be allocated per year and given on the understanding they only last a certain number of years. I have seen a few cases of licenses stop working due to end dates. College in far better position to know if you still there or not.

it seems if it expires depends where you download it from - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e-or-not/e59d853a-12d4-4abc-b9d5-8f0a7c4869b2

Colif

Win 11 Master
N variants are for sale in Europe and don't include Media player built into system
they all have cortana included
WIn 10 Edu is essentially Win 10 enterprise, it includes everything that comes with all versions of win 10, but its licensing only normally lasts as long as you are at the College**

IoT- Designed specifically for use in small footprint, low-cost devices and IoT scenarios. It is a rebranded version of Microsoft's earlier embedded operating systems, Windows Embedded. Three editions are already announced: IoT Core, IoT Enterprise, and IoT Mobile Enterprise

Windows 10 version 1809
- this seems to lack a version, is it Win 10 Edu version 1809? as its not specific enough, all versions of win 10 have been past build 1809 so far

Best place to look for differences is this page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions#Variations

** If I was getting any I would get a consumer version as the Education versions have restrictive licensing, most of time it runs out once you finish the unit, whereas I assume the consumer ones are yours to keep after course ends. But it depends on if you need edu to do any parts of courses you might be doing.

mangaman

Honorable
- this seems to lack a version, is it Win 10 Edu version 1809? as its not specific enough, all versions of win 10 have been past build 1809 so far

That what the Microsoft Azure website says. This is the description, "For this multi-edition Consumer media, use a product key specific to the edition in the list you want to activate. From the desktop, select the Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Activation. Select Change product key and enter your product key. If the key is valid, you'll be asked to confirm the edition change, and Windows then performs it for you. Windows 10 Professional, version 1709 or newer, will need to be installed before using the Window 10 Pro for Workstations product key to activate the edition. Both Windows 10 Professional and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations product keys will activate Windows 10 Professional, version 1709 or newer media."

** If I was getting any I would get a consumer version as the Education versions have restrictive licensing, most of time it runs out once you finish the unit, whereas I assume the consumer ones are yours to keep after course ends. But it depends on if you need edu to do any parts of courses you might be doing.

I was told that it would be very difficult for Microsoft to deactivate students with Windows 10 Edu, as they would need to find each student and see if they are still in College/taking classes. It would be extremely time consuming and would cost a lot of time and resources, correct? Unless they have a different tactic.

Colif

Win 11 Master
OKay, so its just the normal consumer edition, I wasn't sure as you had already mentioned it.

Edu license end date
my understanding is that it is up to the college to enforce the licensing as i think batches of licenses might be allocated per year and given on the understanding they only last a certain number of years. I have seen a few cases of licenses stop working due to end dates. College in far better position to know if you still there or not.

it seems if it expires depends where you download it from - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e-or-not/e59d853a-12d4-4abc-b9d5-8f0a7c4869b2

Solution