[Windows 10] "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration on Wired Connection

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
Note that is is occurring on Wired Connection
- Provide us with the make and model of your laptop (if applicable): N.A.
- Provide us with the make and model of your router: ASUS RT-N56U
- Provide us with the make and model of your modem: ASUS RT-AC87U
- Provide us with the exact specifications of your PC (if applicable) including:
Memory: Corsair DDR3 SDRAM 8GB x2
Chipset: Intel Core i7-4790K
- Make and model of motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-D3H Bios Version F9
- Make and model of power supply: N.A
- Make and model of USB or PCI Wifi adapter: N.A
- Operating system and driver version:
Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1607
OS Build: 14393.693

- You will also need to post your ISP and connection type*: Mobile 1, 1Gbps
- You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router (this includes tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop PCs) as some routers can only handle a specific number of devices at a time.: 12
- Post any and all error messages you are getting from your ISP or Windows itself: As below

- Make and model of switches and how many ports are on each switch: No switch, only 1 Router acting as access point between the Router and Desktop.
Router: ASUS RT-AC87U
Access Point Router: ASUS RT-N56U
- How many PCs and laptops are connected to the network: 12
- Whether or not a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or regular server is connected to the network: Yes, 1 NAS (DNS-320)
- Whether or not a Wifi router is connected to the network and/or switch: Yes, both the router and access point have WiFi routed.
- If you are using the internal LAN connection on your motherboard, a USB dongle, or external PCI card: Internal LAN connection on Motherboard

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Z97-D3H
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ******

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <Censored>
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : <Censored>(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.XXX.XXX(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 100444692
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-XX-00-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX (Censored)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : <Censored>::1%1
<Censored>::2%1
<Censored>::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
PING: transmit failed. General failure.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

What has been attempted:
On Network Status:

1) Troubleshoot:
Problems found: "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.
2) Network Reset: Doesn't work
3) Manually Update Driver Software with all old version of drivers
4) Uninstall network adapter driver and reset
5) Disable antivirus and all firewall
6)Run the Network Troubleshooter

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh winsock reset

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh int ip reset
Resetting Global, OK!
Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : XXXX::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX%18
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.XXX.XXX
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Solution
Whats the DHCP range for your router/What are the IP addresses for the other devices on your network?

If you move the PC to another location where a current working device is does that change anything?

Fozzie Bear

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

I had exactly the same issue with a customer recently. I was tearing my hair out trying to work out why hia windows 10 laptop wouldn't connect. I was about to suggest a clean install as a last resort when I decided to uninstall his antivirus and firwall. As soon as I did that it immediately connected. Disabling the av and firwall had no effect until it was actually uninstalled
fozzie

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

I will try this once I knocked off work and tried this.
A followup, do you install back the same anti virus after that?

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

Yes, I was also having Avast Free Edition. I uninstalled it with Avast Connect, and restart the machine. It does not work. I even disable Windows firewall, and turn off Windows Defender as well.

Fozzie Bear

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Assuming rebooting the router doesn't work and i cant belive you have not already tried that.
1) Have you run a full malware scan? Often this can make changes and prevent you getting a network connection. Download on another machine Malwarebytes free version. At the same time search for and download virus definitions that can be manually installed. Install malwarebytes on the affected PC followed by running the definition updates. these are also an executable which installs them into the program.
2) Next download and run Hitman Pro and scan the PC again it may find things that Malwarebytes may have missed. Having ensure the PC is clean of viruses and malware move onto the next step.

3) If not already tried set a static IP address on the faulty windows 10 Machine(make sure you put your router IP address in the gateway and DNS Server fields). If you can get a connection with a static IP its possibly something to do with DHCP packets or the way your PC acts on them.
If a static IP address still refuses to give you a network connection then go to the next stage.
4) Download and run Windows Repair Tool from Tweaking.com (if it works please donate to the developer) First create a restore point, then run the tool and choose the option to first backup the registry and then reboot into safe mode within the tool itself. On reboot into Safe Mode run the appropriate fixes for networking. On completion Reboot and try again. If you still cant get a connection run the tool again and this time apply all the fixes including fixing permissions on the registry and windows directory. It may well be a permissions issue that is preventing you from resetting the TCPIP Stack.
Fozzie

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

Okay, if you mean rebooted the router after the uninstallation of anti virus, nope. But I doubt it will work. I have rebooted my router twice before and nothing good happens.

Yes, all the other clients on both WiFi and Wired connection is working fine with valid IP address.

Try the following:

Open the Registry Editor. (Start/Search/Run "regedit.exe")
Then you have to navigate through the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>
SOFTWARE
>
MICROSOFT
>
Windows NT
>
CurrentVersion
>
NetworkList
>
Profiles
>
And then right click the little folders that look like a string of numbers and letters, for example: {8bfas-fda342-8yu97-h9h} type things and Delete all of them. (DO NOT DELETE THE PROFILES FOLDER)

Y80fZIM.png

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

Okay, yes. I have downloaded the latest version of MalwareBytes here, with the manual virus definition manual update from Techspot.

After scan, there are 11 threat items, which I have cleared them. MalwareBytes prompted me to restart, and I have done so. Internet connection still down.

I have downloaded Hitman Pro 3.7.15 Build 281 from here. During installation, I have selected "No, I only want to perform a one-time scan to check this computer option", and also "Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer". But this installation requiress internet connection, and there is no scan after 5 minutes of waiting.

Okay, I have tried this but this does not work. I have set the following of configuration.
IP Address: 192.168.1.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
Alternative DNS Server: 8.8.4.4

Internet is still down, I tried disable and enable it again just to enable the configuration is set in. I did a network diagnose after that. The error message becomes "The default gateway is not available." now.

I tried to ping and get the following:
Pining 192.168.1.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.15: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statictics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Recevied = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),

Resetting it back to automatic now.

I download Windows Repair Version 3.9.25 from here.
    I create a restore point.
    I install Windows Repair on my problematic machine.
    I did a Registry backup and stored it a copy on my portable drive.
    Just to be safe, I did a pre-scan, "See if Check Disk is Needed", and System File Check. Nothing wrong comes up.
    I reboot into safe mode and run the repair.

This fails after the restart.

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

I do not have any sub-folder in Profiles. So there is no action to be done for your suggestion.

Fozzie Bear

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Quote " I reboot into safe mode and run the repair.
This fails after the restart."

When you say fails at restart do you mean the tool fails or the PC still fails to connect?
There is only one final thing I can suggest. Assuming your ethernet is on-board your motherboard there is a very slim possibility it has failed.Do you have or can you lay your hands on a PCI ethernet adaptor and a spare PCI slot? If its hardware fault then this should work but if its Windows 10 networking protocols then this wont fix it.
I am afraid at this stage any further effort is probably a case of diminishing returns. Its entirely up to you but I would back up all your data. Recover any serial numbers/ Keys for installed software and do a clean install of windows 10. You could try a Reset or Refresh but this may not repair windows.

In fact that's a good point....... Have you tried a restore to a point before this happened?

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

OH, I mean the propose solution does not work. I don't have an available ethernet card on my hand, but I am quite sure it is not hardware issue for my onboard montherboard.

About system restore, I had tried it. I had 4 restore points. I used all 4 and the problem continues to persist.

I am going to explore some other suggested for related question. If not, tomorrow I am going to do a clean install.

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

Okay, I have uncheck the box and restart my pc. It is still not connected to the Internet.

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

I do not have admin access to my main router. But I can process the IP address for the other devices on my network:

• Main Router: 192.168.1.1
    Unknown: 192.168.1.96
    MAC Address (Can be phone): 192.168.1.7
    MAC Address (Can be phone): 192.168.1.136
    Unknown: 192.168.1.214
    Another PC 2: 192.168.1.241
    Another PC 3: 192.168.1.186

This is a desktop located in my bedroom. I don't think that it is easy to move the entire setup to another location you mentioned. I can try to move the basic setup to my living room and directly plug into the main router to try, but this required careful planning as it involved quite a bit of logistics shift.

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
Just to add on, I try some other obscure suggestion provided in other related post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1975334/local-area-connection-valid-configuration.html

I do not have tunnel adapter.

Just in case anyone else is having this issue... The fix for me was to open device manager and uninstall any IPV6 adapters you have. they were gumming up my ipv4 from working properly for whatever reason. I tried everything on this forum and others to no avail, then figured I would try removing IPV6 adapters I didn't need anyway and it worked. anything named ".... 6 to 4...." or ISATAP or teredo or something like that. There's a million of them, just google any network adapters you don't recognize and if it is an IPV6 adapter just uninstall it. Then reboot and BOOM![/quotemsg]

It doesn't work for me for the unplug everything suggestion, and I do not have IPv6 adapters.

This doesn't work too.

I am going to try this as the suggestion as what Jasmes Mason has mentioned.

boyshawn

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

An update to this:
TL,DR: My router is faculty, causing the issue.

The long story
I moved my desktop to the living room, and tried to connect my desktop to it. It is working fine!

Later on, I went to try this experiment, I switch off the WiFi adapter of my laptop, and connect to the router via lan cable. My laptop cannot be connected to the internet as well. So my finding is that there is a problem with my router. It can broadcast WiFi connection, while any wired connection is gone.

So what I suspected happened is this:

Previously week, a electrician from the Government came over to my house to change the electric meter. While doing this, he shut down electricity to my whole house. The main breaker in the Main Distribution Board trips, along with a breaker. I came home and found out this. I switched on the main breaker, but my desktop does not switch on. I went back to switch on my individual breaker as well. When I switched it back on, there is a spark which occurs. It might have burned the lan port in my router. And what I describe above happens.