[SOLVED] [Windows 10] Ethernet not working, tried A LOT of fixes, none of them worked.

RotaryGT

Reputable
Mar 9, 2019
Long story short: My house had a bit of a power surge last week, but it seems almost everything was fine. However, my desktop suddenly lost ethernet connection after that, and I fear the absolute worst. I tried to fix the issue via multiple solutions online. Here's the (many) fixes I tried.

• Adjusting Ethernet cable's Speed and Duplex settings
  • Replacing Ethernet cable with a brand new cable.
  • Switching Ethernet ports
  • Updated Network Drivers from official website (Gigabyte's Killer Network Drivers)
  • Uninstalled and Reinstalled Network Adapter via Device Manager
  • Went into the command prompt and did wrote the following commands:

• ipconfig / flushdns
  • netsh winsock reset
(I did another few commands into the command prompt but I forgot to write them down, sorry!)
  • Rebooting Modem
  • Network Reset
  • Windows Reset
  • Resetting BIOS to default settings
  • Windows Troubleshooting (Did not help at all)
None of these solutions worked for me, and because of that I think the Ethernet ports in the wall itself is broken. I tried to connect a laptop via the same ethernet port + old cable and it didn't work, but when I connected the ethernet cable directly to the modem, it worked perfectly fine. I tried to connect to other ethernet ports around my house and NONE of them seemed to work (except one). HOWEVER, one thing I did notice when I was doing all this is that, occasionally, the ethernet will connect as "unidentified network" for a bit on my desktop before disconnecting again. I'm not sure how much that info helps, but I'm desperate for help.

Am I just screwed in this case, and need to call in someone to look at the ports in my house? I greatly appreciate any help with this.

PS: Here are the specs of my desktop if it helps:
Motherboard: Z170N-Gaming 5
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k
Network: Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Solution
You could call someone in and that may prove necessary.

But take a look around your network beforehand.

This:

"None of these solutions worked for me, and because of that I think the Ethernet ports in the wall itself is broken. I tried to connect a laptop via the same ethernet port + old cable [ Moderator underline] and it didn't work, but when I connected the ethernet cable directly to the modem, it worked perfectly fine."

If you are comfortable doing so then open the network wall jack and check the connections inside. May be a disconnected or loose wire(s). Same on the other end - hopefully a small patch panel. Could be simply terminated Ethernet cables sticking out of a hole in the wall....

Learn about...
The wires in the walls seldom fail unless you get physical damage like a nail or rat. You also tend to lose just 1 port not all of them.

All the wall ports must go to some other common room and plug into some device, likely a switch. I would suspect that device has defective ports on it or is some way damaged.

I have had ethernet ports in equipment damaged from a lighting strike close. It got many different devices all of which were on UPS and in some cases multiple surge protectors.

Ralston18

Titan

This:

"None of these solutions worked for me, and because of that I think the Ethernet ports in the wall itself is broken. I tried to connect a laptop via the same ethernet port + old cable [ Moderator underline] and it didn't work, but when I connected the ethernet cable directly to the modem, it worked perfectly fine."

If you are comfortable doing so then open the network wall jack and check the connections inside. May be a disconnected or loose wire(s). Same on the other end - hopefully a small patch panel. Could be simply terminated Ethernet cables sticking out of a hole in the wall....

Learn about your network. Sketch it out. Inspect cables, paths, connections/terminations etc..

Start here:

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/home-ethernet-wiring/

https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/wiring-home-network/

Not with the immediate intent of becoming your own network tech per se.

Just to gain enough additional understanding of your network and what may have gone astray.

You might find something obvious or you might find something that does not seem right.

If so, take a couple of photographs and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Provide additional information as necessary.

Someone may spot a possible problem.

Solution

RotaryGT

Reputable
Mar 9, 2019
The wires in the walls seldom fail unless you get physical damage like a nail or rat. You also tend to lose just 1 port not all of them.

All the wall ports must go to some other common room and plug into some device, likely a switch. I would suspect that device has defective ports on it or is some way damaged.

I have had ethernet ports in equipment damaged from a lighting strike close. It got many different devices all of which were on UPS and in some cases multiple surge protectors.

Thanks for that info. I believe the device you're referring to is the Modem. I tried to switch around ports on both sides, but no luck. One thing I did find out that there are two ethernet cables connected to the modem, and only one of them has a blinking green light. I'm not sure if that info helps at all though.

This:

Learn about your network. Sketch it out. Inspect cables, paths, connections/terminations etc..

Start here:

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/home-ethernet-wiring/

https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/wiring-home-network/

Not with the immediate intent of becoming your own network tech per se.

Just to gain enough additional understanding of your network and what may have gone astray.

You might find something obvious or you might find something that does not seem right.

If so, take a couple of photographs and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Provide additional information as necessary.

Someone may spot a possible problem.

I would absolutely love to do this if it means getting a solution, but sadly I am not in a comfortable position to start trying this solution, and I'm terribly sorry for that. I may try this fix in the future, and will let you know if it works when I do.

Again, thank you guys for the suggestions, I greatly appreciate the help.