Question Windows 10 explorer and security centre displays text in 2 languages

tigcf

Commendable
Apr 7, 2019
Hi there
Something strange started happening since last week in my explorer, as outlined in the image below.

11f3914d-dc89-4234-943e-a06e870dcb24

As you can see, the highlighted text is not following the system language I have set (Portuguese - Portugal). Everything else is as it should be.
I noticed this 2 weeks ago, although I can't exactly pinpoint the day. My OS is updated to the latest version available (19044.1526) and all cumulative updates are applied.

I've encountered the same issue in all our fully updated PCs in the office, about 14. The only common item between all those PCs is the fully updated Windows 10 Pro, no other component is equal. All Windows installations are OEM and were originally installed in Portuguese (Portugal).

I have tried to:
  • Install english language pack, change to english display language, restart, change back to portuguese and restart again.
  • Uninstall english language pack
  • Used DISM tool to restore health to system files
  • Ran sfc /scannow
  • Performed an in-place upgrade of windows using the Media Creation Tool
  • Created a new account to check if the problem manifested in the new account (it does)
  • Activated the Adminstrator account to check if the problem manifested in this account (it does)
  • Uninstalled all the updates from the last month that can be uninstalled (not all updates can be uninstalled though);
  • Do a clean installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. (The issue does not manifest immediately, but after a couple of hours and some updates, the issue appears, which leads me to believe that something is wrong with one of the latest windows updates.)

Nothing worked. Any ideas on what might be causing this issue? This does not happen anywhere in the OS (e.g. Settings app, old control panel, etc.), but it does happen in the Security Centre, which is all in English, despite all language settings being configured to Portuguese (as mentioned, this is a clean installation, no other language packs are installed):

image.png.a03ddc1674958116b3dc09ccc184daf7.png

It seems that the OS is simply currently broken in this regard.
Thank you in advance!

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi there
Something strange started happening since last week in my explorer, as outlined in the image below.

11f3914d-dc89-4234-943e-a06e870dcb24

As you can see, the highlighted text is not following the system language I have set (Portuguese - Portugal). Everything else is as it should be.
I noticed this 2 weeks ago, although I can't exactly pinpoint the day. My OS is updated to the latest version available (19044.1526) and all cumulative updates are applied.

I've encountered the same issue in all our fully updated PCs in the office, about 14. The only common item between all those PCs is the fully updated Windows 10 Pro, no other component is equal. All Windows installations are OEM and were originally installed in Portuguese (Portugal).

I have tried to:
  • Install english language pack, change to english display language, restart, change back to portuguese and restart again.
  • Uninstall english language pack
  • Used DISM tool to restore health to system files
  • Ran sfc /scannow
  • Performed an in-place upgrade of windows using the Media Creation Tool
  • Created a new account to check if the problem manifested in the new account (it does)
  • Activated the Adminstrator account to check if the problem manifested in this account (it does)
  • Uninstalled all the updates from the last month that can be uninstalled (not all updates can be uninstalled though);
  • Do a clean installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. (The issue does not manifest immediately, but after a couple of hours and some updates, the issue appears, which leads me to believe that something is wrong with one of the latest windows updates.)
Nothing worked. Any ideas on what might be causing this issue? This does not happen anywhere in the OS (e.g. Settings app, old control panel, etc.), but it does happen in the Security Centre, which is all in English, despite all language settings being configured to Portuguese (as mentioned, this is a clean installation, no other language packs are installed):

image.png.a03ddc1674958116b3dc09ccc184daf7.png

It seems that the OS is simply currently broken in this regard.
Thank you in advance!
Have you reached out to Microsoft? If it is a bug (definitely sounds like it), they need to know about it to be able to fix it.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021