[SOLVED] Windows 10 EXT2/3/4 support - PROBLEMS

Oct 14, 2019
Hi all,

I work for a company that supplies mobile CCTV systems to the UK haulage industry. Our DVR recorders are Linux-based and require the 2.5" HDD to be formatted to EXT3 in order to record data. This of course poses an issue in connecting the same HDD to a Windows-based machine. In the past it has never really been an issue as we have used either EXT2FSD or a similar program to enable read/write to the drive. But recently we have had a lot of complaints about the process no longer working (normally just ensure EXT2FSD is running, connect the HDD to the PC via SATA >USB adaptor and it will appear as a normal external drive).

For some reason we can now connect the HDD to the PC without starting EXT2FSD first, but there is severe lag or crashes when opening folders etc, and writing or reading is all-but impossible due to crashes and very long pauses. So my question is this: have Microsoft added support for EXT2/3/4 file systems in an update recently? And if so, it seems to be broken! Even with EXT2FSD running in the background the same problem occurs. I am running Win10Pro, version 10.0.18362. Given the multitude of issues being reported with recent Win10 builds I would not be surprised!

I have a laptop running an older build (10.0.10586) and this has no issues whatsoever, which leads me to believe it must be something to do with the version that is causing the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? It is a major issue for us as most of our customers are also on 10 and the complaints are stacking up, with me having no idea what is going on! If anyone has any knowledge or advice it would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance everyone.

Solution
I'm not supprised hearing MS not offering decent support for EXT3/4 filesystem.

You may try this solution:
  • Have a dedicated Linux computer and install any stable distro on it (Debian, Linux Mint, etc).
  • Install Virtualbox to that Linux computer.
  • Make a Windows 10 virtual computer (guest OS). Remember to install the addins (must have to transfer files in/out of the box) to the guest OS.
  • Set up a shared folder in the guest OS. This way, other windows computers on the network should be able to access the guest OS.
Or alternatively, you just use an external disk formatted in FAT32 to transfer any files from the ext3/4 volume.
I'm not supprised hearing MS not offering decent support for EXT3/4 filesystem.

You may try this solution:
  • Have a dedicated Linux computer and install any stable distro on it (Debian, Linux Mint, etc).
  • Install Virtualbox to that Linux computer.
  • Make a Windows 10 virtual computer (guest OS). Remember to install the addins (must have to transfer files in/out of the box) to the guest OS.
  • Set up a shared folder in the guest OS. This way, other windows computers on the network should be able to access the guest OS.
Or alternatively, you just use an external disk formatted in FAT32 to transfer any files from the ext3/4 volume.

Solution
Oct 14, 2019
Hi Grobe,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we are limited for options because our customers are scattered across the country, operate various versions of Windows and aren't generally the most tech-savvy bunch out there! Asking them to set up a virtual machine or similar will probably result in laughter. I am hoping to get to the root cause of the problem so I can fix it without causing hassle to our customers.

Why can't you use a remote desktop service and do the setup for the customers ?

I have watched some scambait videos (you should inform you customers about this threat) and they use something called support.me.

Disclaimer: I do not know how safe such services are for your customers, you need to investigate this.

TRENDING THREADS