Question Windows 10 Factory Reset Keeps Sticking

williamosirian

Prominent
Dec 17, 2018
Hi guys. I need some help. I am trying to reset my laptop to factory settings and clean my drive, pretty much a full reinstall of windows, but for some reason, it keep sticking during factory reset, just at different percentages really, but mostly when it gets to around 40%, I have tried this three times now, even took out all USB connections and my ethernet cable to see of that was the issue, but it just keeps happening.

I should note though that I do have a problem with my laptop battery and it needs to be connected with the plug all the time, otherwise the computer will just turn off, I am wondering of the battery is causing the problem...or could it be something else. I need to solve this problems as I need all my files deleted. Any suggestions?

that usually means the files being accessed are corrupted, so it cannot finish the factory reset.

i would create a new installer using Microsoft's latest Windows Media Creation Tool,
do a fresh OS install,
then update the system drivers from the laptop manufacturer's product support page.

williamosirian

Prominent
Dec 17, 2018
Thanks for your reply John. I tried this today and unfortunately it didn't work. I got an error message when windows 10 was trying to reinstall saying windows cannot configure windows 10 to run on this hardware. Luckily my computer resettled the changes and when I started the computer again, it gave me another message saying the installation failed in the first_boot phase with an error during sysprep_specialize operation...

Any other ideas?

notlim981

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
When installing Windows, make sure you delete all drive partitions and see how it goes. Windows will automatically create the recover partition required for the installation process.

ASK THE COMMUNITY