Windows 10 - Fail Safe Mode Resulting in Restarting Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

catshet

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
So I decided to upgrade my Windows 8.1 Lenovo G510 to Windows 10 yesterday. Bottom line: everything went wrong.

1. I got the notification that Windows 10 was downloaded and ready to be installed to my Windows 8.1 (64) system. So I did and everything went successfully until my system restarted. I kept getting the error "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR" and restart loop. The laptop will start with the Lenovo logo and the loading dial, then the error pops up. After a few loops it gives me the option to tinker with the commany prompt, recovery, etc.

2. So I went online and people were saying how Windows 10 conflicts with AMD graphics. What worked for most people was disabling their AMD in safe mode. I tried to entering safe mode through F8 (fn+F8) for my Lenovo laptop and nothing was working. I searched online and people were saying I can change my bcdedit to startup in safe mode everytime. So I went into the command prompt and typed in bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network. I restarted and everything went SOUTH! A new sequence of looping began: 1. Lenovo logo appears with loading dial, fades to black, logo and dial reappears then disappears as the system shuts down and the cycle loops. Sometimes before the second logo and dial disappear, the text 'Restarting' appears very quickly under the loading dial. Sometimes the text 'Safe Mode' in all 4 corners appears for less than .5 second before the system shuts down.

3. At this point there's nothing I can do but enter the InsyndeH20 Setup Utility through F2. Please visit this link for pictures of my settings and laptop specs.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rrpbfj0r0dmvnq2/AACMJMjh8l9CVDq-glHvOWDQa
I decided to try the USB boot with Windows 10 MediaCreationTool on a USB and the install interface showed up when I reboot. From here I could access the repair options and open command compt again, but I can't revert the bcdedit back to normal. It says "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found" when I type bcdedit /enum. View here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rrpbfj0r0dmvnq2/AACMJMjh8l9CVDq-glHvOWDQa

4. At this point, I'm okay with wiping everything and starting fresh. I would like to keep my files but I was over it. However, it says that Windows cannot be installed on any of my drives! Only allows for Delete and Formating, the New button is gray. All of them say Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. I know that the laptop I copied the MediaCreationTool is a 32bit and my Lenovo laptop is a 64bit. Is it possible that is the reason why I can't install windows? When I try to run the MediaCreationToolx64 on my backup, a 'This version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running'.

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated! I went to a shop and they said they could wipe everything and install Windows 10 for $75 or $150 backing everything up. As a broke student, I would like to try to fix this myself if possible. Though seems like I just messed everything up even more! If anyone can offer real-time help, I will be on skype for the rest of the day and willing to add!

Thank you all!

Solution
Hello catshet

Things can be managed. You can try simple things first and if they don't work, you can then go for some complex troubleshooting stuff (which may involve doing a clean-install of the OS).

Your first attempt should be to undo the default safeboot with networking configuration that you can try by using the bootable media to start the PC, and:

> When you are on the window that shows the Install now button, click the Repair your computer option from the bottom-left corner.

> From the Choose an option window, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.

In the command window, type bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot and press Enter. (This will undo the...
Hello catshet

Things can be managed. You can try simple things first and if they don't work, you can then go for some complex troubleshooting stuff (which may involve doing a clean-install of the OS).

Your first attempt should be to undo the default safeboot with networking configuration that you can try by using the bootable media to start the PC, and:

> When you are on the window that shows the Install now button, click the Repair your computer option from the bottom-left corner.

> From the Choose an option window, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.

In the command window, type bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot and press Enter. (This will undo the current booting loop.)

Next and to avoid such issue in future, always enable the legacy Advanced Boot Options menu by using the BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY command and pressing Enter in the command window that you can open by following the instructions above.

Note that you can undo this by executing the BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD command.

You can check this tutorial for detailed information.

Good Luck!!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.