windows 10 failing to find drives

bcalvy

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
i upgraded a friends computer for him but kept the original mother board ram and CPU but when i go to load windows i put the product key in and then go to install windows on the ssd but it wont detect any of my drives.
I have taken the ssd and hdd out and put them into my pc to test if they are working and they are working fine, they are both getting power aswell. i cant detect them in cmd or in the bios.

the computers specs are

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P Motherboard
intel core i7 2600k
g.skill ripjaws f3-12800cl9d ram
Samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd
msi geforce gtx 1070
Western digital caviar black 1tb hdd
coolermaster silent pro gold 800w power supply

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

If you cant detect them in the bios then no operating system will be able to find them. just double check that the sata cables and power are correctly inserted, try sata cable is connected to the board properly, would be an idea to remove any other device from the motherboard/PSU and just test it with 1 drive to see if it is detected by the bios and see how you get on.

Also just check that sata raid isnt enabled, it MIGHT try to move the drives from BIOS to raid setup screen, im not 100% sure on whether this is how they work as i have never setup sata raid before... but its something else to try

bcalvy

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

ill give that a shot tomorrow i have given up for the night haha thankyou ill let you know if it works

bcalvy

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I figured it out. 4 out of the 6 sata ports on the motherboard don't work and the two that do work are a little to close to the graphics card fans but its all working fine now. thanks for all the help!