Question Windows 10 fails to boot, fails to reinstall, pls help

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
So about a week ago I brought my PC back home from school and I came home to find my computer crashing during boot. The windows 10 logo would appear and dots would spin in circles. Soon after my screen would go black and no display would pop up. After trying about every option in UEFI, I resulted to reinstalling windows until both times I tried I got a "We couldn't install Windows 10, The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation" . But I got this message on my desktop so my PC had booted, except for it booted in a weird 800x600 looking resolution and every time I try and bring up settings, settings crashes before opening. Also, my Ethernet is plugged in but my computer is not recognizing it.

PIC/ VIDEO
https://www.flickr.com/gp/171584238@N08/PX4TPj

SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
B350 Tomahawk
8 GB DDR4 1066.4 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

EDIT: I also remember it created a log file during a boot repair and saved it somewhere but I cant remember exactly where. Somewhere under WINDOWS > System32

Last edited:
Go to the Hardware Manager and see if there are any yellow triangles. It sounds like a graphic drivers issue. If the graphics adapter does first try to update the driver and if that fails, uninstall the adapter and have it scan for hardware changes. If that doesn't help, make sure you have the newest NVIDIA driver / installer for your GPU, uninstall your NVIDIA drivers from Programs and Features. The double click on the NVIDIA driver installer. When the installer asks to install the driver, make sure you click the "Clean Install" box. Hopefully this should help.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Go to the Hardware Manager and see if there are any yellow triangles. It sounds like a graphic drivers issue. If the graphics adapter does first try to update the driver and if that fails, uninstall the adapter and have it scan for hardware changes. If that doesn't help, make sure you have the newest NVIDIA driver / installer for your GPU, uninstall your NVIDIA drivers from Programs and Features. The double click on the NVIDIA driver installer. When the installer asks to install the driver, make sure you click the "Clean Install" box. Hopefully this should help.

I just got back from vacation, you are on to something! Thank you! I need more help though:(

So my display adapter had a yellow triangle so I uninstalled the device, I have some drivers in my programs and features but I have not uninstalled them yet. Also, because my pc is not acknoledging the ethernet cable I have to download the drivers on a usb and transfer them to my pc. However, I am not able to get my pc to re-recognize my gpu, it gives me a yellow triangle in a "other devices" tab with the triangle being next to a "Video controller(VGA Compatible)". How do I fix this? I think if I can do that, I can update the drivers with the files from the usb. If this does not work, I am going to try and download windows on a ssd and boot from that.

Go to this web site https://www.geforce.com/drivers and download the driver for your graphics card (you may have already done this, if the driver setup file is on your USB, copy it to the Desktop so you'll know where to find it). Then go to Programs and Features and uninstall all the NVIDIA drivers (your PC may reboot in the process). After uninstalling the drivers, go to the NVIDIA driver install program you downloaded and double click on it. After doing some checking it will ask if you want to install the drivers. look for a box, usually lower left of the install windows that says "Clean install" and check it. Then click to install the drivers.

You can get your lan drivers from here.. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK#down-driver&Win10 64, The Lan driver is a Realtec driver, if you see it installed in Programs and Features, uninstall before you reinstall.

Last edited:

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Go to this web site https://www.geforce.com/drivers and download the driver for your graphics card (you may have already done this, if the driver setup file is on your USB, copy it to the Desktop so you'll know where to find it). Then go to Programs and Features and uninstall all the NVIDIA drivers (your PC may reboot in the process). After uninstalling the drivers, go to the NVIDIA driver install program you downloaded and double click on it. After doing some checking it will ask if you want to install the drivers. look for a box, usually lower left of the install windows that says "Clean install" and check it. Then click to install the drivers.

You can get your lan drivers from here.. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK#down-driver&Win10 64, The Lan driver is a Realtec driver, if you see it installed in Programs and Features, uninstall before you reinstall.

After uninstalling the drivers I went to open the geforce drivers and all goes well until about 10% into the installation it fails. I also tried installing the realtec drive but after it says it installed successfully I went to plug in my Ethernet and still nothing.

It sounds like you may have a failed graphics card or PSU. your MB has onboard graphics so you should remove your graphics card and plug into the MB graphics. Also what power supply do you have?

As for you Ethernet issues, try resetting your router and running the Windows 10 Network troubleshooter.

Last edited:

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
I have never heard anything good about the psu I bought when building my pc, so that is a strong possibility. I have gained a lot of knowledge about computers since then xD.

I have a corsair CX600, also the mobo is showing nothing on the display, I feel like ive read somewhere the cpu needs a built in gpu for that to work? Is that just a bunch of mumbo jumbo or is that why nothing is showing on the display? I have access to a friends gpu, should I switch them out and see if that fixes it?

I feel like ive read somewhere the cpu needs a built in gpu for that to work? Is that just a bunch of mumbo jumbo or is that why nothing is showing on the display? I have access to a friends gpu, should I switch them out and see if that fixes it?
Yes, my bad, I didn't check your CPU; your MB supports on board graphics but you CPU does not. Using a different graphics card, or trying your card in a different PC would help in tracking down the problem. Your PSU has plenty of wattage. Unfortunately there is no simple way to determine if your PSU is failing other than ruling out other components, unless there is simply no power at all. You could try a plug in power meter, which will show the wattage being pulled by your PC, if it is pulling very low wattage, say under 100 watts, than the power supply would be very suspect.

Last edited:

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Yes, my bad, I didn't check your CPU; your MB supports on board graphics but you CPU does not. Using a different graphics card, or trying your card in a different PC would help in tracking down the problem. Your PSU has plenty of wattage. Unfortunately there is no simple way to determine if your PSU is failing other than ruling out other components, unless there is simply no power at all. You could try a plug in power meter, which will show the wattage being pulled by your PC, if it is pulling very low wattage, say under 100 watts, than the power supply would be very suspect.

I will try swapping gpus, would installing windows onto an ssd and booting from there work? I have a feeling windows is the problem it seems very buggy.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
When you say the PC does not recognize the ssd do you mean in the BIOS? What drive are you now booting from and how many drives do you have? The VGA led may is more than likely the result of a bad graphics board.

It shows up in the device manager and in bios but not in the boot options in bios. It also does not show up in the file explorer. What is a graphics board? Would that mean replacing my mobo? Also only one HDD and a brand new SSD

Your ssd is Sata, not UEFI, so it likely needs legacy/csm mode and AHCI in the BIOS, . If you are using UEFI only, it would explain why your sata drive won't allow windows to be loaded and is not showing up in the booting menu. Again, the led is an indication there is a problem with the graphics, it could mean anything from a bad GPU, to bad drivers or an out of date BIOS.

Last edited:

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Your ssd is Sata, not UEFI, so it likely needs legacy/csm mode in the BIOS, . If you are using UEFI only, it would expalin why your sata drive won't allow windows to be loaded and is not showing up in the booting menu. Again, the led is an indication there is a problem with the graphics, it could mean anything from a bad GPU, to bad drivers or an out of date BIOS.

I feel like we are becoming friends!
Ahh okay okay, I will look in the BIOS right now! Stick around!!!!

As I read the manual in the BIOS, go to Setting> Boot

Boot Mode

"Select [LEGACY+UEFI] Sets the system boot mode from legacy or UEFI architecture depending on OS installation requirement. This item will become un-selectable and will be configured automatically by BIOS when Windows 10 WHQL Support is enabled.
[UEFI] Enables UEFI BIOS boot mode support only.
[LEGACY+UEFI] Enables both Legacy BIOS boot mode and UEFI BIOS boot mode."

Make sure "Legacy+UEFI" is chosen..

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Got it. It was already selected.
As I read the manual in the BIOS, go to Setting> Boot

Boot Mode

"Select [LEGACY+UEFI] Sets the system boot mode from legacy or UEFI architecture depending on OS installation requirement. This item will become un-selectable and will be configured automatically by BIOS when Windows 10 WHQL Support is enabled.
[UEFI] Enables UEFI BIOS boot mode support only.
[LEGACY+UEFI] Enables both Legacy BIOS boot mode and UEFI BIOS boot mode."

Make sure "Legacy+UEFI" is chosen..
Any idea what to try now cap?