Windows 10 fails to boot when RAID 0 storage array configured.

steemsucker

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
So I have a bit of an odd one.

I recently migrated from a x2 250GB RAID 0 array to a 1TB M.2 Drive as my boot drive. I killed the RAID array on my two old drives and formatted and wiped the partitions on those. Went back into BIOS and setup a RAID 0 array again (to use as storage) but windows refuses to boot with any RAID array enabled. I can have the drives plugged in not configured as RAID but as soon as I enable an array, windows goes bonkers. Any ideas?

Specs:
i7 6700k
32GB
Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5
1080 FTW
x1 1TB M.2 960 EVO
x2 250GB 850 EVO

Windows 10
F2 BIOS

Solution
If it is anything like mine it can be weird.

So to be clear, you enabled RAID setup in the BIOS (intel rapid storage technology IIRC). Then you create the array in the tool that pops up (on mine you invoke it by pressing ctrl + I). You exited that and went back to the BIOS. You disabled the RAID setup. Then it doesn't boot?

Once you disable rapid storage it should be able to boot normally as long as you have your m.2 drive selected as the boot device. Then in Windows the RAID array should appear as a single large volume in disk management that you can activate, format etc.
If it is anything like mine it can be weird.

So to be clear, you enabled RAID setup in the BIOS (intel rapid storage technology IIRC). Then you create the array in the tool that pops up (on mine you invoke it by pressing ctrl + I). You exited that and went back to the BIOS. You disabled the RAID setup. Then it doesn't boot?

Once you disable rapid storage it should be able to boot normally as long as you have your m.2 drive selected as the boot device. Then in Windows the RAID array should appear as a single large volume in disk management that you can activate, format etc.

Solution

steemsucker

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017

The issue seemed to fix itself after multiple power cycles. I was able to get it to show up in Windows while booting from the M.2. Still not sure what the issue was. Thanks for the reply though.