Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Arrives October 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I'd like a way to opt out of OS updates that seem to only promise to disrupt my camera-less, mic-less, HMD-less and touchscreen-less desktop productivity and add irrelevant Windows Store bloatware that I will be unable to remove. Sigh. This is why Windows XP and Windows 7 will never die out in the wild.

I'd like a way to truly tell you what many, as well as myself, think of Mr Gates & MS on sites such as this. But it wouldn't do any good. Fwiw, I hope your right in re to 7 (not so much xp), but it's already a moot issue. MS will find a way to get people using 10 one way or another, sooner or later most likely. Sad to say.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"When Linux can start properly running Windows code with minimal issues, then, Windows, you have my permission to die."

Good luck. I can remember people saying that before the turn of the millennium.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you don't like what you are watching on TV don't complain, just change the channel. If you don't like Windows updates quit your infernal complaining and use a different operating system. There are plenty of others available, but don't put the rest of us at risk because you refuse to update and get the latest security patches.

BlasterMaster555

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Everyone that complains about Windows and suggests Linux as a daily driver seems to forget that daily driver Linuxes have a DAILY update cycle, and more often than not you get broken configs and incompatabilities in the interface and programs.

TLDR: Don't complain about Windows updates if you use Linux

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I agree that Ubuntu seemingly has patches for things every day (sometimes require a full reboot which is annoying), but I've yet to experience anything breaking due to patches.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

On the other hand, I'm glad that Microsoft is investing in the future in a substantial way even if adoption is slow. If new technologies were only being worked on by small third party developers, the stagnation would be practically impenetrable. Things will get more interesting faster like this, so rejoice.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Guys, it is past time to move on. Windows 10 is the best operating out there today. Beats Windows XP and Windows 7 by lightyears.

I personally had to junk an old 10 year old laptop recently (last week) because Windows 10's latest update broke a bunch of stuff but when I went online and saw "Hey.... a laptop that has twice the power of this old laptop is only 300 bucks!" I was not moaning anymore!

We need to stop expecting Microsoft and other corporations to support stuff forever except in two situations: For military hardware (which is designed to last at least 50 years) and for very specific mission critical equipment at a large business (which after 25 years you should be thinking of revamping so that you are not caught behind the "Cannot get parts" phenomenon).

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Windows 10 can frack off with its updates and windows store. It's not an operating system made to "just work" and stay out of the user's way, it's an operating system made to make money for Microsoft and keep people hooked to Microsoft's "garden".
There is no program Microsoft makes that is better than the competition. There hasn't been one since 2003, at the latest. Browser? Music player? Video player? Image processing? Word processing? Image viewer? PDF viewer? Basic text editor? Voice/video chat? Desktop broadcasting? Cloud file backup? Calculator? Video editor? Sound recording? Process manager? Even the freaking file copying in Windows is crap and needs to be replaced with something better (and free!!) to work properly. The only thing that works reasonably well is the file explorer, and you could say that's really the only thing that Windows needs to do right, but even there they still don't have a tabbed file explorer -_-

Microsoft doesn't have their act together, and they haven't had it since Windows 2000.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Hoping they repair everything they broke with the release of the first Creators' update! Anniversary update was perfect - the first creators update introduced tons of lag with bad transparency effects, and video lags and stutters now. This is on a state of the art Surface Book, nothing wrong with the computer- it's just crappy software coding!

ender699

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Oh boy, another update that may or may not render my PC useless and require endless (re)tweaking to put everything the way I (the user, which is the only one that counts) like it. And for what? Mostly useless additions an OS should not be concerned about (except security!).
MS should instead focus on fixing all the broken things in Windows 10:
- icons don't stay put on multi display systems, great: we need a third party app just to keep the desktop in a stable state ...
- file explorer lags as hell, sometimes when I rename files it reverts to the original file name for a few seconds (or 10's of seconds) and this on a fast NVME SSD! Similarly on folder deletes it shows back the folder. This is a 'feature' since Windows 7 ...
- you need to be schizofrenic to make settings in Windows 10: do I need to got to 'settings'? Or no wait, maybe I need to find the old Control Panel again? Or maybe both? In the end when Windows want's to it just ignores the settings anyway (e.g. with Firewall notifications ...)
- theming? Who needs theming? Not the user according to MS ... Windows 7 was way better
- libraries or user folders or network folders: it's just a big constantly 'evolving' mess. Make up your mind MS!
- native apps. Just for one, photos can't even FIND the images in all the folders you assign it ... Making simple apps does not mean they need to be simplistic and/or bad, although MS really tries to make us believe this.
- login system: using accounts with no passwords does not mean we want the user to log on automatically, these are unrelated things! Indulge me and try to achieve this?
- Group policy: wow, installed Pro version of Windows so I could use this, now Pro disregards some GPO entries????
- uninstall of unwanted preinstalled apps like One-Drive: if I uninstall I really don't want it taking up real estate in my file explorer. What could possibly be the reason for that?
- 'protected' files that can't be removed (e.g. leftovers from old installs). If I take over ownership of files, and give the correct permissions than I want the files gone when I delete them! It's my choice, my responsibility, my computer, my system! Especially annoying if all the 'Windows.old' mess is the result of a failed install of the last 'creators' edition.
- more technical: hardcoded Ip-adresses in applications and services? Bypassing 'hosts' file? Really?
- on and on and on ....

I agree that linux is not the solution for most users, but if MS continues on this path it may start looking more and more appealing ....

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I too would like to let the comment section world know that I'm also a whiny old git who just can't stop complaining about anything. Because I also think that my whiny old behind is more important than anyone else's.
Now, get off my lawn, darned kids! Where's my adequate Windows 98?

USAFRet

Titan

Being able to opt out of OS updates is exactly why we now have forced updates.

Far too many people turned the updates off, either knowingly, unknowningly, or by accident.
Leading to vulnerable systems and massive botnets, ransomware, etc.

MS gets yelled at for this.

So, the solution from MS is "you'll take it whether you like it or not".
Again, MS gets yelled at for this.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The victims of the last major round of ransomware, WannaCry, was almost ALL unpatched systems.

ender699

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
@USAFRet
Agreed about system vulnerabilities and OS patching/updates. However MS has a very broad view about what OS updates are. In my opinion there is a big difference between patching security holes and updating security of an OS in general, and adding or changing applications, functionality or user settings. There is something to be said for the first category being mandatory, but no excuse for the second category being forced upon users.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Before claiming that Linux has a daily update schedule, you need to clarify what the difference actually is.

With Windows 10, Updates are forced out and you cannot stop them, most of which require rebooting your PC at the worst time possible.

While Linux might have "Daily" Updates. If I do a clean install of Linux from USB or CD, you are forced to make 2 accounts. First is a "Root" account. The root account never changes no matter what updates you do, unless you login as Root and do the updates there.

Anytime a series of updates are done to Linux, it creates a new entry on your boot menu, leaving the original one intact. Windows does not let you do this. It is all or nothing.

And then with Linux, you have complete control over the updates you want to install or not.

So Saying Linux has Daily updates is like telling a lie that sort of isn't a lie.

amitrano

Prominent
May 23, 2017
I have been with Microsoft from day one. Xp was great. Windows 7 hit the spot. Now Windows 10 shoves things on you that you do not want. We (old people?) should remember when a 1KB file was large. My days with a TI 99a and a C64 have shown me how sloppy programmers can get with their code. For a free copy of Windows 11, enter your SSN, bank account number and your favorite color.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016

I think you bring a real valid point ! "tweaking" lots of people tweak their window 10 and remove Microsoft defaults that are garbage ! To be honest all these updates are triggered at Microsoft when they analyze their logs and realize 90% of people removed Edge browser hahahahhahah

Microsoft -> " ok time to release a new update that reset everything to defaults, in our favor "

ender699

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Edge? What is that program? ;)

However, I have noticed lately that some MS sites do not work well with 'other' browsers, i.e. my MSDN subscription pages ....
They don't play very nicely are they!

Status
Not open for further replies.