[SOLVED] Windows 10 File History copying is slower than drive speed

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Why Windows 10 File History copying is so slow? If I copy-paste files to my backup hdd drive I get almost 200 Mb/s but when File Hystory is doing it it tops at 30 Mb/s. What is the difference? Does the File History process slows down the transfer on purpose to avoid to use too much drive ressources? That could make sense if your C drive speed is comparable to your backup but since I have a NVMe copying files on a HDD I would not even feel it if the transfer was running at 100% of the HDD drive capability.

Solution
File history is not just a straight copy. There is a lot of analysis of what files have or have not changed since the last run as well as what needs to be deleted that has been removed from the drive being backed up or due to the files being older than the retention period.

I would never expect it to be using maximum throughput to any given drive being used as the history drive.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
File history is not just a straight copy. There is a lot of analysis of what files have or have not changed since the last run as well as what needs to be deleted that has been removed from the drive being backed up or due to the files being older than the retention period.

I would never expect it to be using maximum throughput to any given drive being used as the history drive.

Reactions: JayGau
Solution